Friday, December 10, 2004

Up With The Good, Down With the Bad


This is the lil' mantra that I've been rehearsing over and over, out loud, and to myself this entire week. Up with the good, down with the bad. Another one is just as similar, "the bad in first, the good one last." Just what the hell does all this gibberish mean?


To update my the mini predicament, ever since the delightful POP of my kneecap, I've been busy trying to get around via my good left side. I'm not down with the whole crutches thang. In fact, I tried it for a day and a half. It's tough. I'm using muscles that normally depend on the left side- right side deal, and because MnM is so out of shape, I'm struggling with the upper body strength needed to maneuver these damn crutches. The nurse talked about getting that pendulum swing action going to move forward, but for some reason, I take a step and somehow get stuck midway. More times than not, I end up swinging back to where I started. I'm such a loser, I know! I thought that all those times playing around with my sister's crutches would've paid off, but nada. The day after my ER appearance, I went to see a regular doctor. According to him, he said to ride out the week first and icing my knee three times a day. If it doesn't get better on its own, an MRI would definitely be in order. My progress thus far? Well, without the crutches, I can move faster. I am even able to drive! When I'm in a regular sitting position, I feel no pain at all. Perhaps a slight discomfort, but nothing major. Walking, I resort to limping. I'm a total slowpoke on stairs and here is where that mantra "up with the good, down with the bad" falls in." You'd think it was obvious which leg I'd use to go up or down, yes? Shoot, maybe I'm special or what, but I'd actually be baliktad and try to use my bad leg first to go up. Honestly, because it's my right leg that's f*cked up, it's normal for me to use that leg first. Well, if you can imagine, as MnM approaches the stairwell, I literally have to remind myself, "up with the good, down with the bad." Saying it really helps. If and when I forget, the lil' twinge in my knee reminds me. The same goes for the "bad in first, good one last." This is for putting on pants. Duh, it makes sense, doesn't it? Considering that my leg is in a brace, I feel so tanga trying to find a way to get my pants on the wrong way!


I definitely have a deeper appreciation for my ability to walk and move normally. In these past few days, I've learned a major lesson in patience. Patience because I simply can't walk to one place to another just like that. Who really thinks about the range of motion on your knee, how high you can lift it, how fast you can run, etc? Since Monday night, it's as if something happened to make me slow down. I'm a true believer that all things happen for a reason. Although I cannot see what possible good came out of this just yet, I'm confident that it happened because it was supposed to. On the surface, it couldn't have happened at the worst time. First of all, we are in the middle of making our move from the apartment to the house. I feel terrible that I'm not able to help transport and carry. I'm still able to pack things away in boxes, but I get easily tired standing around. As I mentioned earlier, I'm basically out of commission. I'm helpless and it sucks. Second of all, because we're moving, our phone and Internet connections were cut off. This means that I was not able to access my classroom and schoolwork. I already lost a day flying home and it didn't help that I spent hella time at the ER. There's simply no way I would've been able to keep up and thus, had to withdraw from my current class. Lastly, the part-time job that I just started in November will have to be put on hold for a bit. In a way I feel bad because during the Christmas rush is when they need people the most and plus, I felt that when I left, there was still so much to learn. At the same time, maybe this knee injury is telling me that I could do better, you know? *Sigh.* All I know is that if I don't analyze and think about any of it, it all falls down to one fact: IT SUCKS!


A quick shout-out to all the people who left a message in my comments. I'm hanging in there and not being the invalid that the nurse at the ER said I'd be. On the real and as far as I can tell, I don't think it's as serious as previously believed. It's still not 100%, but I'm assuming that if I'm moving, then it's cool. And just for the record, this knee injury is NOT due to any booty hopping I supposedly did during the Voodoo-Mango nuptials. There is no evidence that points fingers to any such act no matter what is stated by Mrs. Voodoo and Mighty Mom. LOL! (I just had to get that bit in there!) ;-)

No comments: