Friday, December 31, 2004

If You Don't Know, Now You Know


Just had to share real quick. Our new place is in a new development not too far from where we were originally living. I'm always bitchin' how freakin' dark it is at night...no lighted roads anywhere. If you ask me, I'd rather not be out and about in our parts 'cuz it might be a horror movie waiting to happen, know what I mean? Well, everytime we make that left turn into our complex, we always joke that we honestly don't know what is beyond the other bend of the road. We're reminded of that scene in Lord of the Rings when Frodo and Samwise are beginning their journey and leaving the Shire. Sam pauses and says that if he takes one more step, it will be the farthest away he's ever been from the Shire. While we were returning from running errands, hubby was about to make that left turn when I suddenly pointed ahead that we should check out what's beyond our complex. Know what we found?


Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And this is where we start freaking out, laughing out loud, and realizing just how far into Minnesota country farmland we really are. When hubby and I first drove from CA to MN, he pointed out that if you see silos, you know you're really OUT THERE in boonyville. Well folks, it's official. We live out in the boonies! We proceeded for about 5 minutes and it was nothing but farmland. We saw some cows, some horses, and even some wild turkey, I think! The road twisted and turned and when we finally reached the end, we found ourselves in a small ass town, almost Dawson's Creek-like, but not. To me, it was borderline nice town & nice folks, or small town, white KKK hicks. No jokes. It could've gone either way. After driving on a bit further and seeing the land roll out before us, I decided it was time to turn back for home. It was then I realized all of these mailboxes in the middle of nowhere that made me go hmmmm... I mean, if you have to literally drive out so far just to get your freakin' mail, it makes me wonder just who the neighboring folks are, y'know? Are we living next to some recluse freaks who'll one day be the next unibomber? God, I sure as hell hope not!


Anyways, as close as we are to civilized living, we're not just one step away from the boonies...hell, we ARE in the boonies! Never mind that Target, Sam's Club, and outlet shopping is a hop, skip, and a jump away, we are out there. Holy Shit.


Silos. Cows. Wild turkeys. Oh My!

No comments: