Thursday, December 23, 2004

Real Quick


- I drove today. Not that it's my first time driving ever, just my first time driving in the snow. To be quite honest, the amount of snow ain't much for me to bitch about just yet. I have this phobia of driving in the snow. Last year, it wasn't anything to worry about because my beloved Honda was still safe and warm in the Bay. If my Honda could talk right now, I'm sure it would yell expletives and other such profanity at how fricken cold it is over here. I actually had a dream that was probably due to anxiety about the snow. I dreamt that I was on this road and practically every car in front of me and in back were skidding out of control. I remember how tight my grip was on the steering wheel and how fast my heart was racing. I think I even started muttering a prayer to help me get to my destination safely. The scary part was that as the cars slid off the road, they ended up in and/or on a lake. If ya'll ever come to visit us out here, you'll notice that everything is surrounded by various bodies of water- lakes, ponds, marshes, whatever. Yes, yes, Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 lakes...in fact, a local had told me that it's really more like 15,000. The way I see it? In the summertime, all these bodies of water are just breeding grounds for the millions of mosquitoes that will attack you no matter how much bug spray you use; in the wintertime, all of the lakes are just hazards and accidents waiting to happen. Idiotic people racing their cars out on the frozen lakes only to fall through thin ice OR one of my worst fears coming true, a car sliding off the road into a lake and breaking through the ice. Maybe it's because I still can't swim for sh*t, but water and me don't mix. Let me rephrase, freezing icy water and me don't mix. Hell no. In any case, although the snow wasn't falling in sheets or whatnot, the fact that there IS snow on the ground and that I was able to suck it up and drive on my own was a very big thing for me.


- My Christmas packages were ready to be sent off to San Francisco today. I was stoked that I was able to squeeze in some holiday shopping amid the chaos of our home, get them wrapped, and even do my ghetto wrapping of the box with brown grocery bags. I suck at wrapping that way. I'm secretly proud that I was able to get everything done before the big deadline- Dec. 23rd. If packages were sent priority mail before then, presents would be delivered Christmas day. Hubby went to send my packages on their way, but called me with some majorly distressing news that if I wanted my gifts to arrive in San Francisco by Christmas, it was going to cost about $90! Holy crap! At this point, if I did regular ground shipment, it would arrive a few days AFTER Christmas, but it would only cost approximately $15. Geez...talk about a downer! Well, it serves me right that I waited so long to shop and take care of business, but damn! 90 bucks?! Goodness gracious me...I think the family will excuse me for not spending so much on delivery and be content with a belated celebration from me. Oh well.

No comments: