Monday, December 06, 2004

Quick Update


Okay, I know that I haven't updated the Bay Area Diaries (and I've got MUCH to tell!), but now that I'm back in the Midwest, I really had to share about my flight home.


First of all, it was NOT the homecoming that I was expecting.


I was awakened my the sound of my niece's voice leaving a message on the answering machine. Turns out that my alarm didn't go off and if Bina didn't call, I would've definitely slept in. She was on her way to school and wanted to say one more goodbye- ain't she the sweetest?


The morning started off with me feeling rushed to take care of last minute packing. I still had to tape up the balikbayan box (oh yes, i did!) while my mom kept throwing in canned foods. I kept telling her, "Mom, they sell Vienna Sausage in Minnesota...and we have tuna there, too!", but she continued filling the box up. Eh, not a problem. You can never have enough Vienna Sausage! Lol!


Anyways, my dad drops me at the airport, I check in my bags, go through security in no time, and wander around the different shops to kill time. I have time to have a quick conversation with my Ate and before you know it, it's time to board. So far so good, yes? I wait until my row gets called and try to squeeze my way around the idiots crowding the entrance. It's irritating really. They hear rows being called by number and yet, they stand eagerly near the front KNOWING that they won't be called next, but still HOPING that they will, y'know? I hand the dude my ticket, he scans it, and I shuffle behind the others making their way down the walkway to the plane. I am greeted by the flight attendant and continue to find my way to my seat, 37F.


Whenever I travel back to the Bay, I always, always, always get a window seat. For the most part, I'm one of those people who won't get out of their seat for the duration of the flight and just chill reading a book. Because I need to bring my laptop for schoolwork, I usually have two carry-ons when I fly. I don't prefer to put my carry-ons in the overhead bin; rather, I stick them under the seat in front of me. Easy access, y'know? Plus, I'm just too damn short. ANYWAYS...when I get to my designated row, I would normally throw my handbag onto my seat and while carrying my laptop bag in front of me, continue to scoot to my seat. Not today.


I suppose that my laptop was unusually heavy today, not quite sure, but as I tried to scoot towards my seat, I heard a very loud and distinct POP! The next thing I knew, I had lost my balance and collapsed unto the seats. I totally freaked out because it was my knee that gave out. Instinct made me start feeling around my knee, making sure there weren't any bones sticking out or anything like that. After a quick assessment, I didn't see anything wrong, but as I tried to stand up and scoot some more, the pressure of my weight upon my right leg was too much to bear. At this point, my heart was pounding and I'm freaking out. All of these scenarios are going through my head...did I break something? do I need to get some assistance? do I need to get off the plane and go to a hospital? am I going to need to miss this flight home? what the HELL was the popping noise?!


After a few more attempts, I struggle from the aisle seat to the window. I put my bags in place and again, try to decide if anything is swelling or popping out, etc. Perhaps after about a few minutes, I feel myself settling into my seat and I disregard the pain.


Three hours and some minutes later as we're pulling into the Minneapolis airport, I start gathering my junk together and I feel a pain in my right knee. Uh oh. Not a good sign. As we begin exiting the plane, I feel myself limping. And just my freakin' luck, Northwest Airlines just happens to be the farthest from the baggage claim. So I limp, stop, limp, stop, limp, stop the entire way. I even test my right leg and try to put my entire weight unto it. Big mistake. I practically lose my balance, but thankfully, I don't make a fool out of myself in the middle of the terminal. I finally reach the baggage claim, am greeted by hubby (who had flowers for me!), and begin to feel a nagging pain as I walk. It hurt so much that I had to go to the Emergency Room.


ER's are often always long waits. It's to be expected. I went to the triage, filled out some paperwork, got put in a room to wait for a doctor, received an icepack for my knee, and continued to wait for over an hour. By this time, the swelling around my knee was definitely noticeable and I was beginning to feel worried. I was telling hubby that when my sister broke her leg when I was younger, or just whenever she got sick (and it was often!), I'd sometimes wish that it was ME that was injured so that I could get all the attention. Stupid, I know, but it's true. Thankfully, I've never had to stay overnight in the hospital for anything. Sure I've been to the ER for back spasms, but that's about it.


To make a long story short, here's the scoop: turns out that the POPPING noise was my kneecap separating! Because it had popped out, there was fluid in my knee from the trauma causing the swelling and the kneecap was now floating around. Ewwwww!Y'know, I've never been good with anything hospital related, blood especially, but this one has to take the cake for now. I literally had this nauseous feeling in my tummy just thinking of what he was saying. Turns out that I had to get an x-ray just to be sure that nothing was broken. It came back fine, but validated the fluid in my knee. He told me that I'd have to make an appointment with my regular doctor later today to get an MRI. He said that it could be anything from a torn or ripped ligament, to broken cartilage. He couldn't tell me how serious it was, but he wasn't ruling anything out. In the meantime, I would be leaving the ER in crutches. In crutches!!!


As I write this, my leg is wrapped in this knee isolator contrapment. It's really just some foam that they wrap around my leg with velcro to ensure that I do not bend my knee. On the way home, I probably almost busted my ass a few times already. My arms got easily tired and I think I sprained my left foot, too. I will not be able to move around much for the next few days and basically, I'm out of commission. This totally sucks because we're in the midst of moving to our new townhome and now, I'm confined to resting and/or hopping around the house. How so not conducive for me! I feel for hubby who needs to do more for me now, but on top of work and moving, I know he's already tired. Aiya! Talk about a NICE homecoming, eh?


So there you have it. Sorry...MnM has a problem with succinctness and isn't capable of sharing a "quick update." i was going to post a picture of me looking all ka-wawa, but we left it at the house. Stay tuned for a pic later today. I would appreciate the prayers that it's nothing too serious and yes, prayers that I won't bust my ass as I maneuver myself in crutches.


Other than that, the Bay Area Diaries will continue as soon as I'm able to figure out what the deal is. In a nutshell though, I had a GREAT time back in the City. It was awesome to see family & friends and do the whole catching up bit. Most of all, I was honored to have witnessed the marriages of two of my closest friends. More to come later...pray for me ya'll!



No comments: