Monday, November 01, 2004

Weekend Happenings


Saturday: Had a meeting with the loan officer to discuss the impending closure on our townhome. It's all completed and done! All we have to do is wait for everything to be approved, sign our autographs on the paperwork, and start moving in. One killjoy moment was when we learned that the original guy we were supposedly working with lagged on his end of the paperwork and so our closing may be delayed a week or so. Sucker. Hopefully all goes well and in a few weeks, we should have our new place.


It's been a rainy and blah weekend over here. Makes you just want to sleep in until noon and stay underneath the warmth of the blankets. Oh wait! I already do that! LOL! On the real, I'm trying to improve my sleeping habits. They are so screwed and it's taking a toll on me both physically and mentally. Because of the school stuff I have going on, it's not unusual for me to NOT leave the apartment and to lose all sense of what day of the week it is. It's terrible. Now that school is temporarily over, it's the perfect time to venture out. Hubby and I hit a mall on Saturday to escape the blahness of the day. We don't really have a usual mall that we go to, in fact, there was a point when hubby asked me, "Do we like this mall?" and I had to stop and think about it. Oh the deep things we ponder. Ha. For the rest of the night, we made it a Blockbuster night and just chilled at home.


Sunday: Minnesota Vikings vs. New York Giants. Hubby and I went to a football game! Now, I don't consider myself to be a huge football fan, but I was psyched to finally get into the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis. It's a trip to be indoors for a sports event like this. I found myself looking up a couple of times thinking it should be the sky instead. The place was packed: approximately 64,000 in attendance. An endless sea of purple and gold, people wearing Viking helmets complete with horns and blonde braids, and still others who were pimped all-out in purple from their head to their toes. Literally. Maybe they were trying to be Prince impersonators? It WAS Halloween after all.


Unfortunately, the New York Giants kicked ass. I honestly didn't care either way if the Vikings won or not. Hubby and I kept ourselves entertained by all the hardcore fans and all the freaks were who yelling obscenities to the field. While we enjoyed our hotdog and nachos, everyone was on their feet chanting, yelling, and pumping their fists in their air and doing the referee signal for '1st down' accompanied by the blast of a Viking horn battle cry that sounds oddly like a foghorn. Not being a Viking fan, I had no idea what these people were doing. Then there's the Viking song that everyone sings. Did I tell you about all the beer and alcohol that was consumed during the game? There was a distinct smell in the air, but when the hordes started their drunken serenades, it was just plain hilarious. The Vikings were getting their asses kicked early in the game that by halftime, people started leaving. And they were pissed. By the 3rd quarter, there was a major exodus from the previously mentioned packed stadium. It makes you feel bad for the team. I mean, it's obvious that they didn't have a prayer, but must the fans kill their already crushed spirits? Some hardcore fans were bitching, too, "Y'know, they're gonna come back in the 4th! You're missing a great game!" Well, they didn't and oh well. I want to say that some only stayed to check out the team cheerleaders jumping around and squealing in their skimpy ass fits. Being that it was Halloween, they were all dressed in different costumes. It must've said on the memo: "chosen costumes MUST show as much skin as possible, baring the midriff section, and be skin tight. NO EXCEPTIONS." Don't get me started on the cheerleaders. The entire halftime featured cheerleader squads from different high schools. Whoopee. I'm sorry. I've inherited quite a negative impression of the whole pom-pom waving world. Blame it on the fact that I had to endure my high school years being pumped up by cheerleaders who I just couldn't take seriously. But I digress...


Hubby and I stayed until the very end. By the beginning of the 4th quarter, the stadium wasn't completely empty, but scarce enough. The very few New York Giants fans were really rubbing it in and getting in some peoples' faces. I'm surprised that they didn't get beat. Overall, it was cool to just attend. We got into the game, doing the "oooohhhh-ing" and boo-ing and all that other good stuff. For my second football game ever, I enjoyed myself. My first time I went was with my Dad via his company ticket. It was cool 'cuz we got to hang out in a sports bar before getting shuttled over to Candlestick Park. I don't remember who the 49ers were playing against and I don't even remember who won. It was dope though...not only because it was my first football game, but it was also one of the first times I got to hang out with my Dad.


On a sidenote, we had noticed that event parking is mucho expensive out here. For a baseball game, parking is about $10. For a football game, it can run anywhere from $15-$30. WTF? No way did we ever pay for parking at Pac Bell in the city, there was no way we were going to pay that much to see a team that we don't even love, know what I'm saying? Hubby has a parking permit at one of his client sites and we sucked it up to walk the 6-8 downtown blocks to the Metrodome. Thankfully, it hasn't snowed yet (forecasted for this Thursday, btw) and the walk wasn't so bad. Our legs and thighs were sore by the end of the day though, but I will just consider that as part of my exercise regimen for the day. Ha. The day was not wasted after all! Lol!


Oh well Vikings...maybe next time!


Halloween Tradition


Last year, hubby and I tagged along with Mare and Pare DeJesus to a glorifyingly, or should I say "gorrifyingly" and disturbingly horrific put together haunted house. I compare this house to the efforts put forth by the South San Francisco community that decorates their homes for Christmas. Considering how huge this front lawn is, the family make it into a maze that you have to walk through...complete with fantastically gory scenes, spooky music, eerie fog, and actors dressed up as nightmarish material that can be easily mistaken as something fake and right when you pass by, they charge at you to give you the best heart jumping moment for the night. Now when we went last year, we went at the prime time when it was crowded. The groups of people ahead of us helped us figure out with their screams which were real or fake, but not last night. We went around 9:30pm and there were only small groups left. The night was already foggy and misty, but I have to say, even though I KNEW it's all fake, it scared the bejeezus outta me! Okay, so what if I was the only one screaming. I've got a very vivid imagination. I can't help it if I'm a scaredy cat. The people in charge were probably like, "Hey, watch for the girl...she's a screamer. Make the head pop out. Signal the moving hands. Jump out and reach for her when she passes. You know the drill." In any case, it was a good scare. This house gets bigger and bigger in their gore fest and they've become THE place to go on Halloween. We didn't take too many pics this year, but we got a good one with a werewolf. Maybe next year if I'm brave enough, I'll get one with the dead, white faced lady who growled. She was definitey gives you the willies freaky. Maybe, just maybe. Though we didn't give out any candy (sorry kiddies, the chocolate is mine!), we have found our annual Halloween tradition. How wonderfully boo-tiful!


Stay tuned for the pics.

No comments: