Sunday, November 28, 2004

Thanksgiving Dinner


Thanksgiving dinner the night before was off da hook! Hubby took care of everything, from the dinner to the dishes. How dope is that? I think it's safe to say that we both ate to our hearts' content. Considering that it was just the two of us and that I would be heading out to da Bay the following morning, there was plenty of leftovers to go around for days. While hubby worked in the kitchen, I was busy trying to pack for my 11-day stay in the City. On top of that, I wanted to make sure the laundry was done, the place was vaccuumed, and that the house was in semi-decent order before I left. Out of all the visits I've made home to CA, this is one of the longest in a while and so I had the hardest time figuring out what to pack. To add to the stress of all of that, my body decided it was best to give me a sore throat as a going away present. Tight.


Bay Area Diaries


Day 1:
The day I left MN, the weather was wet and rainy. The forecast called for snow any day now. Compared to last year, the snow is late. I figure it's almost a 100% guarantee that by the time I return, everything will covered in white.


I actually woke up early on Friday, sore throat and all, because I knew hubby wanted to try to hit some Thanksgiving sales before dropping me off at the airport. That didn't happen. Shiet. In a way, I was glad we didn't go because I wasn't in the mood to be among crazy ass shoppers on a mission. I would have rather spent my time with hubby..even though I was running around trying to get ready and pack last minute stuff.


To my surprise, the airport was busy. Not busy-busy, but busy enough. I guess that whole theory of people staying throughout Thanksgiving weekend goes out the window! My flight was full, yet fortunately and thankfully, the middle seat in my row was empty. Aisle seat chick and I were cool with that and we made use of the space quite nicely and comfortably. After a quick lunch (Turkey sandwich, Frito chips, an apple, and cranberry juice), I settled in to read, but ended up falling asleep. I woke up about an hour away from our destination and buried myself into "The Five People You Meet In Heaven."


I won't go into detail about what the book is about, but the premise is that after you die, there are five people you will meet in heaven who will explain and make sense of your life. It's such an intriguing interpretation of what heaven might be like that I'm hoping that it comes close to the real deal. Suffice to say, the tears were flowing by the end of the book. Of course I was trying to hold back the sobs and tears, but shoot, ya'll know that only makes it worse. In any case, if you are looking for a new read, this is it. It's not even that long, which kinda pissed me off. It's too short. I wanted more. In fact, I'm planning on re-reading it again. It's that good! It definitely gets the two thumbs up recommendation and if anything, hopefully it will get you thinking about what happens after we pass.


I arrived in da City on time. It was so great to walk through the sea of people and see four familiar faces in the crowd. My sister and family were there to greet me and just like the last time they picked me up, I was met with the biggest bear hugs from Bina and Nico. It trips me out at how big they always seem to get! August was the last time I was home and man oh man...Bina is taller than ever and Nico is talking (in full sentences!) more than ever! With the excitement of being home, it's no wonder that there are so many different conversations going on in the car. Plus, I don't think I've heard the word "Ninang" so many times in such a small period of time. As a pasalubong for Nico, I bought him THE softest stuffed toy ever. He has this obsession with Christmas and Santa and when I saw this Gund Santa, it was on. I purposefully didn't pack it in my luggage 'cuz I didn't want to squish him and once I gave it to Nico, his eyes totally lit up! Oh, the cutest thing. Throughout the entire ride and night, he would come up to me, Santa in his clutches, and hug me and tell me, "Ninang, I've missed you. Thank you for the Santa" or "Thank you for the Santa, Ninang, I've missed you." Talk about melting my heart! I feel so loved.


Got to my parents and had a quick meal. My sister and I headed to Epiphany for Ms. Penny and Stud Muffin's wedding rehearsal. Even though they were all busy, we did get our hellos and hugs in. We stayed for a bit, talked story with some peoples...I finally got to see pregnant Em, and gee, talk about looking GOOD at 8-months! Seeing people at the church was just a teaser of a reunion of sorts that would come tomorrow. There's so many people that I haven't seen in ages (DJ Rod and Lil' Richard) and I know that it's just going to be THE perfect day for the future Gee's.


Well, seeing that my body is on Minnesota time and that I still had my sore throat, I ended up crashing in bed by 7:30pm PST. And guess what time I woke up the following morning? 5:30am....CST.


Anyways...stay tuned for the Bay Area Diaries. There's lots of people to see and much to do. I've got a list of pasalubong to get and pictures to take.

No comments: