Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Exhausted


That is how I've been feeling for the past week. I started my part-time gig last Friday. For someone like myself who hasn't been part of the work force for a bit over a year now, it was a major shock to my system physically. Lakeshore is basically starting from scratch- brand new space, brand new employees, brand new everything. Most of what my job entails is putting up fixtures, unloading a 50-foot truck full of a sh*tload of merchandise in heavy ass boxes, putting them on a handtruck or dolly, moving them to a designated area, opening the boxes, taking out the millions of packing peanuts (which have somehow found their way into my pockets!), sorting the items according to section, arranging them onto the shelves according to a "plannogram" or picture, packing the overstock in boxes that have been already broken down that must be retaped, loading them up on the handtruck again, wheeling it through the maze of boxes and bodies, and figuring out exactly where the hell everything goes. Sounds like FUN, eh? (riiiiigghhht...)


On my first day of work, the many muscles that have been dormant were rudely awakened and put to strenuous physical labor at once. I honestly thought that we would have one of those get-to-know-each-other exercises, but from the getgo, the managers and visiting managers from other states were basically like, "Okay, grab a dolly and let's start unloading the truck!" Us workers got to know each other by the many "You got that? Are you okay? Need some help?" to the passing comments of sarcasm like, "And we're getting paid HOW MUCH to do this crap?! What time is our break? You expect me to carry THAT?" All the new hires come from different walks of life. You've got the high school graduates, the college folks, the laid-off, the mothers whose kids just started school, and the grandmothers. Grandmothers. These aren't the typical grandmas who spend the day in the kitchen or garden..no sir! These grandmas are feisty lil' ole ladies with mouths like a sailor or trucker! You always hear 'em complaining about one thing or another, but rather than it being annoying, it's really just hilarious to hear what comes out of their mouths because it's just so unexpected. And why is it that it's always the older women who bitch about needing a smoke? Lol! It's one of those, "Helllloooo? Don't you know smoking is bad for you?" As if I would be the one to say anything....they might kick my ass! lol!


Although it's a lot of work, it really isn't that bad. If Motrin can fix it, then I'm all good. I've been dead-tired each day, got cuts and bruises everywhere, and am in dire need of a back, foot, and hand massage, and using muscles that I don't think have existed for the past year. Man, with all the blood, sweat, and tears (okay, no tears....but blood and sweat, yes.), I better be losing some weight or something 'cuz it's for damn sure that I'm NOT in this job for the money! On the real, my paycheck would be good for groceries, a trip to Target or BestBuy, or on one pair of really nice shoes and a bag. On the plus side, this job thang has pushed me into the much needed routine that I've been bitching and whining about. I actually eat three meals a day, I head to bed no later than 10:30pm, and I'm usually up by 6:30am. Wow, huh? AND, I get home by 5:30pm-ish, eat dinner, and still have time to watch my must-sees on the WB...haha, I planned it that way. I'm sorry, I don't think I"m willing to give up Gilmore Girls and Smallville for this part-time job. Not worth it. (btw: VH-1's Bands Reunited is back! Check it out!)


Other Things


- Elections are over. I have this need to keep a close eye on how the Bush administration will operate for the next four years. This election "inspired" me to be more aware of what's going on. Yes, I realize that I shouldn't need a reason to be inspired to be in the know politically, but hey, it's something that I was never and truly interested in until now. I do believe that we're headed for a major decline in more ways than one and the focus on the blue state-red state issue intrigues me still. We're more of a divided country than we are united. I don't doubt that the president's job is difficult. I mean, c'mon, he's the leader of the free world! BUT, as someone in the position to make changes for our country, it has to be made with two steps forward, not back. In any case and as hubby puts it, no one's got a right to complain unless you did your duty and voted.


- Dress shopping, or rather, 'Mission Impossible.' Why is it that whenever we head to the mall in need of something, we can never find it? It's like there's this invisible force that quietly and discreetly hides that perfect dress or pair of shoes from our viewing pleasure and/or gives the person in front of us the same inkling and desire for it and snatches it just a second before we do. It's a sick and twisted cycle. I even try and psych myself out and try to get into the frame of mind that I don't need anything. But sure enough, the sick and twisted cycle continues. Shiet. This is THE major reason why I don't like to go shopping. Shopping for books, fine. Great. But for clothes? Forget it. Argh.


- This is one of those "you just had to be there" moments. When my sister and her family came to visit MN this summer, my niece and nephew brought this McDonald's fun pack that included lil' plastic replicas of all Mickey D's foods imaginable. You had the big mac, filet fish, quarter pounder, french fries, icy coke, milkshakes, sundaes, and apple pie. Hee hee...did you sing that? No? Okay, it's just me. ANYWAYS, before they left back to CA, the kids were making sure that they had all the pieces. Sure enough, they didn't. Among the missing pieces was a sunny-side egg...y'know, for the big breakfast meal. WELL, I recently brought my Honda to the carwash and whenever they vaccuum, they just leave whatever on the floor on top of the seats. Just yesterday, I decided to put my window screen in the trunk 'cuz, well, I won't be needing that anymore. Sitting right underneath the screen, lo and behold, was the plastic egg! It was THE funniest thing! Lol! Ha, I guess ya'll just had to be there.


- Belated birthday shout-outs to my lil' cousin Anthonette who turned 23 yesterday. Okay, so she's not so little anymore..literally. She stands at a nice 5'7 and was the tallest of my bridesmaids. Sure, it didn't help that she still wore heels! Anyways, hope you had a blast girl! Love and hugs to you always!

No comments: