Thursday, November 18, 2004

Updates


I swear, there are simply not enough hours in the day.


Ever since I started this new job of mine...part-time, mind you...I've been bitching and whining about how exhausted I am at the end of my shifts. Honestly? It's all the standing that I do. After the store finally opened last Saturday, it hasn't been really busy. Considering it is a teacher resource supply store, you know it ain't gonna be bustling with teachers during regular school hours. In the mornings, we usually get a lot of parents and daycare educators. There's about 4-5 of us on duty and there's only so much help "Is there anything I can help you find?" going on, know what I mean? And egads...the straightening. Our store has to be THE neatest in that whole shopping complex. Except for last Tuesday.


Tuesday morning, a lady came in with her young daughter. The kid must've been no older than 2 years old. It still surprises me how parents allow their kids to roam freely around a store. Okay, so it wasn't busy with lines up the ass, but the lady was 2-3 aisles down and the little girl was in the section where she could've easily inserted small objects in her mouth and choked. Well, insert she did, but luckily I was there to supervise her. She was the cutest thing. She'd take balls, one by one, and hand them to me. Before I knew it, the floor was littered with balls rolling here and there. After her mom paid for her purchases, she just told the kid, "okay, time to go." No thank yous for watching her kid. No "I appreciate ya'll for babysitting" 'cuz babysitting we were while the lil' rugrat tore it up. Lol..it wasn't so bad 'cuz she was adorable and we were bored, but still...


I've been having second thoughts about this whole retail thing. The last time I worked retail was at Carlton Cards at Stonestown! And egads, that was 10 years ago!!!
(Whew! Give me a sec to let that sink in...) The setting up of the store was cool. I'm a sucker when it comes to seeing all the new merchandise. It's like Christmas or a birthday where you get to open up all these boxes and see the goodies inside. Sure it was tough, laborious work, but when you walk into the store and see how awesome it looks, there's a certain pride that wells up. They keep telling us that we'll always be different from all the other people who are hired later on simply because we were there from the very beginning when there was no store. When it's slow and we have no customers, we're encouraged to "go play" with stuff. That's the only way we'll get to know the product, etc, and as a former teacher, I tell you, it's educational heaven. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've commented, "Ohhhhh, I could SO use this in my classroom!" I was seriously comtemplating ditching the whole retail experience, but not only does it give me something to do besides online school and get out of the house, it seems like the closest thing to a real classroom that I'm gonna get to. Plus, the discount will kick in after 30 days. I feel like I do have this slight edge over some other people having been in a classroom for 5 years and can confidently suggest something that'll work, but some of these young'uns are just better sellers than I am. Retail sure ain't for me, but in the meantime, it'll do.


If you're curious as to what kind of store I work in, click the link.

No comments: