Tuesday, May 25, 2004

What a Weekend

Depending if you've already read hubby's blog, you might've heard about his lil' adventure to the emergency room on Sunday. Late Saturday night, hubby was complaining of some discomfort in his chest. According to Doh, it wasn't like someone was sitting on his chest kinda pain, but definitely something uncomfortable. Being the butthead that he is, he DIDN'T tell me about the pain radiating down his arm or the tightness he had in his jaw. These, if you don't know, are some of the symptoms that have to do with heart problems. He slept it off thinking it was something he ate or whatnot and went to church on Sunday morning. After church, the pain had not subsided and I thought it was time to head to the E.R. In no way did I want to take any chances. I've seen these symptoms one too many times. Plus, it was definitely affecting hubby 'cuz he wasn't the usual bubbly, joking self and this, in turn, caused me to worry even more.

Luckily, we live about five minutes from the hospital. When we got there, he was immediately taken by wheelchair (although he didn't have any trouble walking at all) to a room. Being that it was Sunday afternoon in the quiet lil' suburb that we live, it seemed that the entire hospital staff was having a party. It could've been my imagination, but I had the feeling that by bringing hubby in, we were interrupting their snack and gossip time. Needless to say, he was seen right away and our presence basically made people try to "look busy." After I registered hubby in, I went in to the examining room to find him all hooked up. Hooked up, as in hooked to an EKG machine, oxygen in the nose, and hubby looking so ka-wawa on the bed. Poor baby. The nurses and doctor came in to ask questions, trying to figure out exactly what kind of pain hubby had. His nurse had to draw blood for tests and boy, was that needle huge or what? He also had to have a chest x-ray and had to take some nitro under the tongue, too. We weren't sure whether or not he'd have to stay overnight, but after some odd hours of waiting and taking in some meds and liquid Motrin, hubby was given the okay to go home. His bloodwork and his x-ray came back negative and as far as they could tell right then and there, nothing was wrong with hubby. He's due in for a follow-up exam this week and hopefully, the doc will have some news to clear things up. I'm grateful that hubby's okay. Just do me a favor and keep him in your prayers until we find out what caused the pain. Maybe, just maybe, it'll have been nothin' but heartburn.

After Sunday's lil' adventure, hubby took the day off yesterday. Much needed, I say. As for me, it took quite a bit of me to remain calm in the wake of everything. I'd like to think that with all the times I've been to the hospital for my family, of all the times I myself have rushed my grandma to E.R., and then seeing my dad go through this quadruple bypass last summer, with all that, I'd like to think I'm pretty strong when it comes to things like this. It's scary to see your loved ones all hooked up and lying in the bed and seeing hubby was no different. But this girl kept it together and stayed strong.

On A Mission

For hubby's day off, we decided to do a bit of walking...at Mall of America. Yah, yah. As much as we complain about how crowded it can be with all them ghetto chitlins and how overrated it is, it's really the perfect place to get your exercise on, considering how truly HUGE this place is. We walked and did a bit of shopping. After a while, the subject of the wedding chapel came up in our conversation. Have I mentioned that there is an actual wedding chapel inside MOA?! As much as we've heard about it, we've never seen it. So, we made it our mission for the day to find it. Some of ya'll might say, "Just look at the directory." Yes, yes, we have tried that before, but being in the wrong wing of the mall can definitely pose a problem. And if you sometimes get that claustrophic feeling when there's just way too many people in one place that we often get at MOA, you'd understand why we're always complaining. According to the directory, the Chapel of Love, (the actual name, people, I am NOT making this up!)is located at 345E. East wing. I had to find my own bearings 'cuz I had no idea which wing we were at. 'Tis kinda funny 'cuz when we actually found it (3rd floor outside of Bloomingtons), it happened to be just around the corner of where we entered the mall! Seeing that there isn't possibly anything we could afford at Bloomingtons, why wander yonder to that area, right? Well, we found it, sneaked a quick peak into the chapel, and had a good laugh about it. Ain't nothing spectacular. Reno and Vegas, by far, totally blows 'em all away. BUT, at least we can say that we finally found it, saw it, walked inside it, and well, ah, the chase is over. Mission accomplished.

btw: we spent the day WITHOUT our cell phones! Oh horrors! Lol- actually, it wasn't bad at all. I felt inspired after reading tpham11's blog about leaving his cell phone at home and just spending time with his kids. Damn, remember the times before everyone and everyone had a cell or pager? Seems ages ago, doesn't it? Needless to say, we DID feel a bit nervous not having our phones with us, but the quality time spent was, like the Mastercard commercials spout, priceless. Ya'll should try it sometime...

Speed Reading and Funky Dreams

Don't know if ya'll remember that lil' list I made up of things to do on my three-week break from school. Top of the list was to read and reread the Harry Potter series. If you're an avid reader like myself, taking up this matter is nothing like a challenge at all. It's more like a much wanted punishment. If you've read the series, you know that each book gets thicker and thicker as it follows the adventures of Harry and his friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a huge Harry Potter fan as I am a Lord of the Rings fan (btw: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King dvd was released today! Go get your copy!). I've practically been reading the series straight, going from one book and immediately to the next. I just finished the third one- Prisoner of Azkaban- today. Tonight, I start on The Goblet of Fire- all 734 pages of it! I'm so stoked!

Seeing that reading is part of my usual routine before I go to sleep, it's no wonder that my dreams have been taking upon a "magical, yet freakish" nature. Just last night, I dreamt that He-who-must-not-be-named was after me because of a particular amulet I had. All these strange things were happening- a llama looking horse suddenly became three soaring birds; shadowy figures were gliding overhead; people were fainting like crazy as soon as He-who-must-not-be-named came close; and to make it so unbelievably psycho, there was someone's wedding trying to happen amid all the confusion and fear. I remember that I was panicking because I was trying to get my hair up in a bun, but 'cuz I just got it cut, 'twas almost impossible. Aiya! Albeit that it was a weird dream, I know it isn't anything to worry about. I've had my fair share of nightmares, but this one was definitely, without a doubt, due to my late night readings of Harry Potter. I've got a little over a week left and two more books to go. As much as I'm trying to complete the lil' goal that I've set for myself, I'm also trying to relish each page that I read. The story has gotten so intriguing that I've totally immersed myself into the plot. In many ways, I dread finishing up a good book- I don't want it to end. But at the same time, you get so into it that you find yourself hungry for more. I'll tell you this though, I can't wait for the sixth book of the series to come out. Til then, I've got to get my read on...

No comments: