Sunday, December 07, 2008

Just My Imagination

I dropped it off this morning...and my imagination ran away with me. I swear, sometimes I think way too much for my own good! Only one scenario truly took place, but for all I know, any one of these could've been possible.

I pull into the driveway and leave the engine running. I quickly walk up the path to your front door and for a second, I pause. I hear the sound of dogtags jingling just over the fence coming towards me. I can't help myself and I lean against the fence, practically throwing my body across the top, just to get one more glimpse. He cocks his head towards me as I call out his name and for that brief moment, I imagine that he says to himself, "Where have you been, my lady? I've missed you!" He runs directly up to the fence and I can no longer see him...but as I leave, I tell him that I"ll miss him and that I hope to see him soon. I get back into my car and as I back out of the driveway, I take one more look at the house and I do my best to visually take a picture and store it in my head. It'll be a while. I take my time pulling away...it's early, no one is up, and yet, I know you're not there...and that's why I came.

I pull into the driveway and leave the engine running. My heart literally stops because of the car I just pulled up next to. It has out-of-state plates and it doesn't take a genius to know to whom it belongs to. I should've known. I quickly walk up the path up to your front door and for a second, I pause. I hear the sounds of dogtags jingling, but before I know it, I hear a voice that calls out, "What is it, boy? Is someone there?" The voice is unfamiliar and yet, I have no doubt who it is. My heart starts beating faster and I know that I cannot escape fast enough. I take my package and leave it by the front door, but before I could take another step, the fence door opens up and she's there. In that moment, we are locked frozen in place, and all I could do was stare. It's different to finally see her in person and I know that she is thinking the exact same thing. Before I could speak, she tells me that you're not there, but surprisingly, it's not said in any condescending or arrogant manner. I tell her that I know and that's why I came. I'm still shocked and surprised, but when I find my voice again, I calmly ask her if she could please make sure you get the package. I tell her that I would really appreciate it if she could do this one thing. She agrees and I hand it to her. I start walking back down the path, but I turn to face her, knowing that she is still watching. Without any hint of anger, bitterness, or righteousness on my part, I simply say, "Just be careful with his heart this time." I've said what I needed to say and I leave. I get back into my car and back out slowly down the driveway. I take one more look at the house and I do my best to visually take a picture and store it in my head. It'll probably be the last time I see it. I roll down my window to clear my senses and to fight the tears welling in my eyes...and as I pull away, I hear the sound of dogtags jingling in the distance and I pause until I can hear them no more.

I pull into the driveway and leave the engine running. I quickly walk up the path to your front door and for a second, I pause. I hear the sound of dogtags jingling just over the fence coming towards me. I can't help myself and I lean against the fence, practically throwing myself across the top, just to get one more glimpse. Just as I do, I am face to face with your son, and we both yell out in surprise. "What the...?" "Sorry dude, I didn't know you were home," I say. As he pushes the fence door open, he asks, "Why didn't you just use the key?" When we are standing face to face, I have a hard time breathing, but I calmly tell him that I no longer have it. He notices me holding a package. He alternates looking at the package and my eyes, back at the package, and back to my eyes again. He asks me the ultimate question and I chuckle because he had it all wrong. In fact, it was the other way around. He looks confused and there's a sadness in his eyes. I can't bear it any longer. I tell him that I have to go, but to please make sure you get the package. As I turn to walk away, he calls out my name and asks me to stay. "Stay until he gets back so you guys can talk." "I wish I could...I want nothing else," I tell him, but I know that your mind has been made up and you'd probably be upset to find me there. I'm torn because in moments like these, it's never just the two people involved that are affected, it's everyone around. I take a step closer to him and ask if you're okay. He says he's not sure...he hasn't noticed anything unusual other than that you were tired. His answer does not surprise me. "Just stay...c'mon. We can play a game of chess while we're waiting..." I laugh and I smile...I tell him that I can't, but before I turn to go, I give him a hug. "I'll miss you," I tell him. "Do me a favor and take care of him, okay?" He nods, shrugs his shoulders, and says, "I will." As I walk down the path towards my car, he calls out my name. "Yeah?" I reply. He says, "I'll miss you, too." I get back into my car and back out slowly down the driveway. I look back and he's still standing there holding onto the dog. I try my best to visually take a picture and store it in my head. It'll probably be a while, but I hope and pray that it won't be too long until I see them again. I roll down my window to clear my senses and to fight the tears welling up in my eyes. As I drive away, he waves and I wave back. I hear the sound of dogtags jingling in the distance and I pause until I can hear them no more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays from me to you. God bless...... Ed