Friday, July 29, 2005

The Filipino Discount

I've been searching for a phone cover for my new and free Nokia 6010. Seeing that T-mobile doesn't have any cool covers, I've been forced to check out them lil' kiosks in the mall. So it's off to Serramonte I go! Now it's been a while since I've been there and seeing that it's a Friday, I already should've been forewarned how crowded it would be. I finally find the cell phone accessory kiosk and the homie running the booth asks what I'm looking for. I tell him that I need a cover for my Nokia 6010 and he starts rummaging through his drawer for one...quite unorganized if you ask me. Anyways, he's looking, I'm browsing, and he asks if I'm Filipino. Yes, I tell him. Do I speak Tagalog, he asks...no, but I do understand, I tell him. Then he laughs and says, "Well how am I supposed to give you a good discount if you can't even speak Tagalog?" I respond, "Hey, I will understand everything you say." He finally finds the correct cover, not as cute as I hoped, but as basic as basic phone covers can be. I ask how much and he says, "For you, ten bucks." Seeing that he would need that in cash, I headed to the ATM, pulled out some moolah, and headed back only to find another Pinoy joining him. The dude who was helping me is busy with another customer and tells that guy to get my money. I hand him a twenty and he's like, "Out of $20?" with a confused look on his face. Other homie tells him in Tagalog to ring me up for $10...this guy looks surprised, but does it anyways. Dude comments on the Giants sweatshirt I'm wearing..."So are you a Giants fan or something?" Sarcastically I answer, "No, I just like to wear Giants gear." I don't think he got it. While he's getting my change, I ask him how much is the phone cover originally and he tells me $29.99. Whoo hoo, what a deal, eh? I grab my change and tell the dude "Salamat, huh?" and homie is like, "Oh, I didn't even know she was Filipina!" So there you have it...something I've missed out on since moving out of the Bay...getting THE hookup, not just any ole hookup, but the FILIPINO hookup! LOL!

Floral Arrangement 101

My friend Miss Lily is getting married tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it because it's going to be held at the Wilhelmina Gardens in Golden Gate Park right near Ocean Beach. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's the garden behind the windmill...you can't miss it. That was actually one of the choices hubby and I were thinking about before we decided on the Palace of Fine Arts and yes, I was the one who suggested it to Lily for her own ceremony. I've never seen it or been there myself, but from the pics on the website, it's quite beautiful.

So Lily had a flower arranging party at her house today...have to make the boutinierres for her relatives, the bridesmaid's bouquets, corsages for the parents and grandparents, etc. When I got there, there was a small group already at it. I introduced myself and asked if they were all part of the bridal entourage. "No, we're not in the party." I ask, are any of the bridesmaids coming? "No." Wow. No worries, there were many people to help, but one of her friends happened to have taken classes in floral arrangement. A couple of them went to the FlowerMart earlier today and bought bunches and bunches of flowers- pink roses, red roses, berries, orchids, hydrangeas, and baby's breath. There were more, but those are the only names I could remember and recognize. Seeing that none of us had any experience making boutinnieres, we got a quick lesson and we were off.

I have to say that arranging flowers takes skill and a good eye...something I don't think I have. But give me a model and I will try my best to duplicate it. I tried to watch the gal in charge as she explained what she was doing and I was in awe at how beautiful her arrangements were. My respect for flower arrangers everywhere has just been upped a notch! We all joked about how at tomorrow's ceremony, we'll all be too busy checking out the boutinnieres and forgetting about the bride! My fear is that someone's flowers will totally just fall apart because of one of our mistakes. Aiya! I'm sure it will come out fine and that tomorrow's ceremony and banquet will go just fine.

Wedding Memories

With every wedding that has come and gone since my own, I can't help but take note of things that I'd want done again or compare it to what I did. Plus, it's only natural to reminisce about your own, right? Well, hubby and I have agreed that when the time is right, we are going to do it all over again...so technically speaking, I am looking for new ideas! Of course there's still my lil' cousin's wedding in January, the Weekender's in April, and who knows who else! I swear, there was just that period when everyone was getting engaged, getting married, having kids, and before you knew it, I was part of that group. Aiya...reminds me of how old I am sometimes. Lol!

There's one wedding that I'm going to try my best to make and it's happening in just a few weeks...and that's VirgoCapri's! Girlfriend has upped and moved to Georgia to be with her fiance and just the other day, she called and asked if I could be her maid of honor! What a surprise! I've never been a maid of honor before and to be asked was such an honor! She was very hesitant to ask me because she admitted that I was the third person she asked...although she says that had I not been in MN, I would've been her first! No worries and it's all good. I'm just trying to figure out finances if I'll be able to make it at all. If not, she says she won't have one at all. Boo. Keep your fingers crossed ya'll and hope that I can make it to her special day!

Week One- done

Tomorrow will mark my first week being back in the Bay. Still surreal to be home and still sad to be away from hubby. It's been a tiring week, both physically and mentally. This is the most activity that I've done in a while and being on my feet fixing up the classroom and/or organizing other stuff has been hell on my back. I swear, my back never rarely ached or pulled when I was in MN...time to call on my friend, Motrin. After an exhausting week, what better way to end the week than to get a pedicure! Ah yes...that always seems to do the trick and hey, a girl needs to be pampered now and then, ya' heard?

Anyways, hope ya'll have a great weekend wherever you are and whatever you do. As always, be safe. As for me, I've got Miss Lily's wedding tomorrow and church on Sunday. It should be a fun weekend overall...pics to come soon!

*To my hubby: thanks for the card! What a nice surprise...and it really brightened up my day. =) Wish I could be there to give you a big hug...love and miss you.

No comments: