Sunday, July 10, 2005

"Flame On!"



Saw "Fastastic Four" on opening day on Friday- it was cool! Growing up, I was never such a huge comic book fan. The ones that I DID read included DC Comics' Justice League and the ever so silly Betty/Veronica/Jughead series and Ritchie Rich. Oh yah, not to mention the Filipino "komiks" that lay around my relatives' house, too! I swear, I probably knew more Tagalog back then than I do now...sad, I know. But with so many comic book superheroes making their way to the big screen, it's the second chance for me to buy into the hoopla and get revved up. It's almost on par with, but not entirely, the Star Wars episodes. Seeing that the Star Wars phenomenon began when I was a toddler, I simply cannot and truly understand how exciting it must've been when it first came out...unlike hubby who, btw, was H-Y-P-E-D when we first saw a preview for Fantastic Four! I was born just a few years shy of immersing myself into the subculture and unfortunately only became a big fan when they were re-released. The point is, I may have known all about Luke Skywalker, Hans Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, and Darth Vader, but I never really knew-knew them until recently. Know what I'm saying? Sometimes it's better the second time around. So now there's X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, and now, the Fantastic Four!

According to the newspaper reviews, the movie was lacking...but who really cares about what movie critics say? C'mon...this from people who said that Titanic sucked! (shaddup! I know ya'll are haters, but I loved this movie!!!) Movie reviews aside, I totally digged (dug?) the movie. I thought the Human Torch was hot (hot, get it?) and hands down, he had the best lines. Mr. Fantastic was looking really familiar and after we googled him, turns out that he was Lancelot in King Arthur! Jessica Alba's character, Invisible Woman, has neat powers...plus, hubby thinks she's a hottie- lol! You seriously have to feel for The Thing though, but I was totally lovin' the kiddie school banter between him and the Human Torch. Lastly, there was Dr.Doom...if ya'll are "Charmed" fans from the WB, you know that the actor played The Source, yet another evil character. While there are other movies that could easily be deconstructed for its substance, this isn't one of them. "Fantastic Four" is meant for good, nonthinking enjoyment. I liked it and I could give a rat's ass about what some critics say.

Go see it and have fun...and if you leave the theater saying "Flame On!" more than once, let me know so I'm not the only nerd out there. LOL!

No comments: