Thursday, May 26, 2005

Eerie Midwest Weather

The weirdest thing just happened. I have WeatherBug installed onto my laptop. I swear, the weather is one of the first things that I check in the morning and each and every time that we have to venture out. For the most part, it is damn accurate. If and when we are to expect severe weather, there will be a WeatherBug Alert. If you have the sound up on your laptop or computer, the alert will sound like a chirping bug. Because I don't care for all these computer sounds, my laptop is always on mute.

In any case, my lil' WeatherBug icon was flashing- turns out that we are having a thunderstorm alert in our area. I immediately went to the window and checked the skies. Clear as can be. Suddenly, not two minutes after I just checked, I heard these heavy raindrops hitting the window, the big splotchy ones. The sky has turned grayish and even with the temps being 63 degrees right now, I can hear the rumbling of distant thunder making its way over.

With the temps reminding us that spring has finally arrived, it's also reminded me that summer is just around the corner. Yes, yes, we've all heard the "April showers bring May flowers" business, but here, it represents so much more. After the May flowers bloom come the hordes of insects and creepy crawlies, the reemergence of the "unofficial state bird" aka the mosquito (scroll down for a peek!), the unbearable heat and humidity, the thunder and lightning summer storms (sometimes cool, sometimes scary), and finally, the possibility of funnel clouds touching down and thus forming a twister. Oh joy.

Whoa! Sorry...thunder still creeps me out. With bugs in the air and electric static hanging thick, I hate to quote LOTR, but in regards to summer and all that jazz that MN has to offer, "so it begins."

No comments: