Saturday, June 12, 2004

What A Week

I've been temporarily glued to the TV this past week to watch all the Reagan memorials and funeral coverage. It eerily reminded me of 9/11 and how time seemed to stop for a bit...for some, anyways. There's a lot of Reagan haters out there, but I'd like to think that even though I was too young to really understand his political agendas, it's just fitting to acknowledge the life of this accomplished world leader. I was disappointed that I didn't wake up early enough yesterday to watch the funeral service begin in Washington D.C. and continue on to Simi Valley, CA live. I was thankful that CNN decided to broadcast the entire day again. I just felt that this was history in the making that I wanted to be a part of, even though it was just watching it on TV.

Yesterday, we also found that Ray Charles Jr. passed away as well. An icon and legend that the music community will no doubt miss.

Some people may be surprised that people of my generation are affected by these deaths. Sure we may have been too young to understand Reaganomics, but I'll bet that we all remember hearing about the president being shot by that Jodie Foster fanatic. We may have been too naive to appreciate Ray Charles' music, but after "We Are The World", we knew him. Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that these individuals were at their height while we were growing up in the 80's. We are connected by time. If anything, I've learned more about Reagan's presidency now than I did back in high school. Now that I'm older, I have a greater appreciation and understanding of things that I never took the time to bend an ear to. As unfortunate as some may say that is, to me, it's better late than never.

June 12- Philippine Independence

Happy Philippine Independence Day!!!

For those of you who don't know much about how the Philippines gained their independence, read on and be schooled...

July 4 vs. June 12

PI History

Be proud, wave our flag, dance the Tinikling, eat bibingka...celebrate our independence ya'll! Reflect and be thankful of your Philippine roots.

No comments: