Monday, June 07, 2004

Crappy Days

Burgers ain't sh*t without the buns.

Yesterday:
In terms of blogging, you ever have those days where nothing majorly eventful happens and all these bloggable moments come to mind that you believe would make good reading material, BUT then one stupid lil' incident happens and all is forgotten and all you want to do is vent about that 'cuz it's ruined the entire blogging experience? Ha! Well, that was yesterday for me..and oh yes, this morning as well.

Yesterday evening, the Tony Awards were on. I love watching these because in a way, you can say that I grew up hearing and attending Broadway shows. I had this idea for a blog post that had to do with thanking my parents for giving me some "culture" growing up- how many other 8 year-olds can seriously say that they got to see "Cats" or "The King and I?" Not that many. Now hubby had been unfortunately hit with a case of hives and he's been so kawa-wa ever since and I've been running here and there to get medicine and food, which I totally don't mind. Last night, we decide we're gong to eat burgers and have ourselves a mini-picnic. I make a list of things we need and head to the grocery. 'Course at this time, the Tony Awards and the Lakers/Pistons game was goin' on and I'm thinking that if I hurry, I can still catch most of the performances.

I zoom to Rainbow, the name of our grocery, and am in and out. I head back home and hubby says that he'll take care of the food. Cool. Then he gives me this look and asks, "Um, did you get any burger buns?" Aw for crying out loud! The one thing I forget to add to the list! At that moment, I exclaim that "I ain't goin' back." But the memory of yesterday's disaster dinner comes back to haunt me (just say my salmon didn't come out as I planned....shaddup!) and I reluctantly grab my keys and head out once again. Now we could've easily eaten the burgers ghetto style with sandwich bread, but after having a bogus dinner the night before, I was desperate for the burgers to taste bomb.

The burgers did taste bomb, thanks to hubby, but it's not after my mood becoming foul as I drove. ARGH!

Burgers ain't sh*t without the buns.

Today:
I woke up late, as usual. Hubby says that I got a phone message from a friend and still being groggy, I forced myself to the kitchen to play it back. Now I don't know about ya'll, but I LOVE to save messages. That's why you'll never see our answering machine with zero 'cuz it's very likely that I've saved a message (or 3!) from hubby and one from my niece back in CA. Knowing this, it's normal to just press the "skip" button to hear the latest, yes? Well not today! As I was quickly scrolling thru the messages, I was literally horrified when I realized that it wasn't the skip button that I was pressing, but the DELETE button!

MnM is not a happy camper right now. Boo!

And Finally...

Ronald Reagan, the 40th president of the United States, the "Great Communicator," passed away on Saturday. There's always this sense of sadness when someone well-known dies. Just like with any other huge and news worthy event, I found myself glued to the tv to watch all these "Remembering Ronald Reagan" bits. It covered his childhood days, his presidential times and what he accomplished, up to his final days as he battled Alzheimer's. I got all teary-eyed when they talked about this, knowing that people with this disease can lose their memory altogether. They fail to recognize their loved ones, they fail to recognize even themselves, and in my opinion, is such a sad way to live the rest of your life...what's worse is that there is no cure.

I will admit that politics doesn't interest me as much as it should be. When Reagan began his term in office, I was only in 1st grade! Now I do remember when he got shot, but his political agendas and what he accomplished as president were never really understood. In 5th grade, I chose him for my president report and it surprised me that I remembered some facts about him as the newscasters recalled his life. And then it struck me that Reagan is the first president of MY time. To many, this may seem insignificant, but to me, it's worthy. From the newspaper clipping that my sister has on the day that I was born, I'll always remember reading that Nixon was impeached and removed from office on that day. I don't remember anything after him, but yes, I do remember knowing Ronald Reagan.

I'm saddened by his death and am moved to read about what he did as president. A few hours after his death was announced, I headed to Borders and sure enough, there were all these books about him already displayed. I'll probably save the newspaper clippings for safe keeping and how many years from now, I'll take it out and remember him. It's funny, isn't it, how someone whom you never meet and never get to know, can touch and influence people's lives so deeply.

Rest in peace Mr. President...

No comments: