Monday, March 08, 2004

Excuse Me?!

Yesterday, hubby and I went to Applebee's for lunch. Since he was about to leave for his training class, we didn't feel like cooking before his flight. As always, we ordered mozzarella sticks for our appetizer-yum! We passed the time by watching a basketball ball game on TV and continued to make some comments about lil' things we hear here and there from unsuspecting patrons. Not that we're eavesdropping on anyone's conversation...hey, it's not my fault that these people talk so fricken loud! Anyways, our food comes and the waiter guy turns to me and says, "You must be having the Oriental salad." In a second that disappeared as quickly as it came, I thought, "Any WHY must I be having this Oriental salad?! Is it because you're calling me an "Oriental?!" But before any words of regret and anger could pass my lips, waiter guy saves himself by saying, "This dish is so popular with the ladies." Yah, uh huh. So what, just 'cuz I'm a lady, it wouldn't be possible for me to have ordered the steak and shrimp combo that hubby had? Well, I don't think I would've ordered that anyways, but still! After waiter guy left, hubby and I had a good laugh about that 'cuz he said that he had thought about the same exact thing! I guess I'm very much in that PC-mode where I just don't think we should be calling anyone of Asian descent "Oriental." You can have an oriental rug or take a vacation to the Orient, but you just don't call anyone "Oriental" anymore. It's like calling Native Americans "Indians." 'Tisn't PC to do so.

MOA...again...

I already mentioned my lil' cuz, Natassia, who just celebrated her 18th birthday. Her cotillion is this Saturday and I'm excited to be flying home for a few days. Hubby and I had braved MOA again to find me a dress, but as my luck would have it, I never seem to find anything when I need it the most. It's always like that. When I'm not shopping for anything in particular, all of these clothes start shouting, "Buy me! Buy me!" Plus, I just don't have that shopper's patience and determination to go through every single thing on the rack. I was actually wishing my mom was here 'cuz she has a knack for finding nice buys. In any case, we did find this huge dress shirt sale for hubby at ExpressMen! Since HIS birthday is quickly approaching, we decided to splurge a bit. (haha, 'tis a good thang hubby worked hella OT hours!) Since I felt "left out" at not buying anything for me (what a brat!), we headed to Macy's 'cuz Clinique was having one of those promotional sales where you buy something for $19.50 + and you get a free gift. My sis and I are notorious for getting those free gifts! Lol! This latest one is really cute....it's lavander-purplish makeup bag and it's smaller compared to the past ones. Not to mention all the free products you get with the bag! While I was doin' that, hubby was browsing around the cologne section. I seriously cannot stand any perfume, cologne areas of the mall 'cuz they get me sneezing. But hubby found a new scent, Albert Sung's Paradise, and bought that, too. What was supposed to be a shopping trip for me turned out to be a birthday spree for hubby- it's all good!

Goin' Back to Cali

For a true Californian like myself, I actually HATE it when people refer to CA as "Cali." Sure, everyone loved it when LL sang it, but honestly, it's just like San Francisco...don't call it "Frisco." In any case, I'm excited to be seeing my family again, even if for a few days. According to my mom, the weather has been in the 70's since last week-wow! I think I've forgotten what hot feels like! I was just telling my mom today that I watched the forecast for MN just last night and it said it'd start warming up. After that freak snowstorm the other day, that's definitely good news to hear. But, as I woke up this morning, everything was white once again. Damn those meteorologists....they lied.

Mom was also bearer of bad news regarding my car. Ya'll remember the last time I went back? I was so pumped to see and drive my car only to find that the battery was dead? Well, something apparently is wrong with it again! Is this a sign of some sort? Is my Honda upset that I've been away too long and this is her (yes, it's a girl Honda...) way of getting back at me? My dad is going to try to fix 'er up before I arrive, God bless him, and if things go smoothly, I may have my beloved with me in MN by next month. *crossing my fingers*

I'm looking forward to seeing my family, my godkids, my car, the beach...and yes, in that order. Plans are also in the making of meeting up with some friends as well. I will definitely try to mess up Firemarshall J and get him to eat rice (insert evil laugh here) and I'm excited to finally meet his Pualena, RhoRho. I'm hoping to have an E Komo Mai luncheon fest with Ms. Penny and another lunch with Mr. Outback manager bud, Josemryosp. There's really so much I'd like to do, but of course, I'm going to be spending time with my family, too. It seems like the routine is that I get to see them about every 3-4 months. It works out 'cuz it's we don't get to miss each other TOO much. Because of my tight schedule, I probably won't even have time to pass by my old school to say hello to the kiddies, but we'll see. In any case, it'll be fun and I'm looking forward to it. I don't have to bring my snowshoes?! Dope!

Birthday Shout-Outs

March is definitely a birthday filled month! First off, just wanted to wish Ms. Penny a wonderful 29th birthday. We have this ongoing joke about how we're the same age for about a few weeks. Ms. Penny and Mr. Stud Muffin are in the middle of planning their upcoming wedding this November and I gotta say, it's all very exciting! I'm more than happy, more than thrilled that these two are finally tying the knot. Needless to say, I'm going to be needing lots of tissue on that day...like no one ever saw that coming! Lol! Happy 29th Birthday, Ms. Penny! (time for oingo-boingo now!!!)

The DeJesus fam celebrated two birthdays this week-Pare and panganay, Charley. My lil' bro's lady Sharmila celebrated her 26th, too. Plus, had two relatives on my mom's side celebrated a 30th and a 44th birthday...much love! Also wanted to send anniversary wishes to old friend of mine, Eddie and his wife, Teresa. Happy 7th wedding anniversary! Love and God bless always.

No comments: