Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Labor Day festivities
I had the pleasure of hanging out with the Penalosa clan today. Miss Penalosa and Em picked me up and were off to the East Bay. 'Twas so nice to see them and catch and tsismis for a bit- YOU KNOW! It was just our luck that Em flew in from beautiful Hawaii for the weekend to visit the folks. =) Anyways, Ruth, Rod, and Ken just got their own place and just the day before decided to throw a lil' bbq. Can I just say, YUM?! Ruth, the master chef, threw together some delicious dishes...I mean, that girl can cook! (and she looked so naturelle, too!) I also got to see my ina-anak, Raegan...the cutest lil' thing! This was only my 3rd time ever seeing her and gee, don't they grow up so fast? She had just woken up from her nap and well, you know how kids get when when they wake up? They're all cranky, shy, and clingy...just like Nico! But after having some snacks, she warmed up to me...YAY! It was cool to see and hang out with the rest of the clan...reminded me of back in the day when we all hung out about once a week! (Uh oh, is this another flashback?!) Well, considering that we grew up together doing Barangay, church, choir, caroling, Simbang Gabi, cotillions, and the many, many rosaries, we're all like family. Was excited to see my Kumare Wena...we've been TRYING oh, so many times to get together for dinner and whatnot, for gee, about 5 YEARS! Goodness! Yah, that sounds about right..ever since her wedding, we said we'd hang out, but we never did. And now that I'm off to MN, we're going to try this week to really see it thru.

In fact, I have to give credit to the Penalosa gang for helping me figure out my future. Seriously. It all started back to my SF State days when I was looking for a job. Wena had been working at Wells Fargo Bank as a teller downtown. She told me there was an opening, I interviewed, and was hired. She totally hooked up my "first real job." Haha! Okay, so I only lasted for six months! Details, details. It's not that I was let go or anything; I honestly couldn't hang. The branch that we worked at was the 2nd largest in the City...I mean, they even had bullet-proof windows! It was smack dab in the middle of the financial district and the majority of its customers were big money-makin' business folk. Oh, I forgot to mention, the arrogant-I've-been-a-customer-here-for-over-20-years-and-I-don't-have-to-show-you-my-ID kind of business people. Hmmph. Yah. It was a good experience, nonetheless, but still. Haha, only six months. After I graduated from State, once again I was looking for a job. Rach had been working at a private school in an afterschool program. She told me about it, I interviewed, and was hired. (Coincidentally, we also worked together as co-teachers in the School of Religion CCD program at our church. Did that for 5 years! Plus, she was also my partner in crime in helping me decide that teaching was the way to go!) My first week- I HATED it! I mean, it wasn't the fact that this had been one of my first times dealing with kids, but I don't feel that the people who "trained" me were any good. I didn't feel confident or prepared to be in and deal with the situations I did. BUT, as time went on, I began to like it and eventually, LOVED it. I started working more hours, did Winter and Spring breaks, and worked with all grades from Sr. Preschool to 6th grade! I'll guess my supervisor at the time was "impressed" with me and asked me to sub for teachers going on maternity leave. Did that three times. I did that for two years! With the school expanding and having three-year wait lists, new teaching positions opened up. Once again, I had to go to another interview (this time by the entire Admin staff!). I was interviewed, and was hired. (deja vu?!) I originally had my heart set on Kindergarten, but since I had just finished subbing that year for a teacher on maternity in 3rd grade, I got the new 3rd grade position. Isn't it funny that it all started off working in an afterschool program at noneother than CORNERSTONE ACADEMY? I feel blessed to have worked there for 5 years. I met so many inspiring people that I will always treasure my time there. Am I done yet? Hehe, almost! THEN, there's Rod. Rod had been taking classes at University of Phoenix for his degree. I had mentioned to him that I needed to go back to school for my teaching credential and that it was so hard for me to do school AND work at the same time. I don't know HOW other people do it! (Well, I know it's because I'm just not as focused and plus, I had just WAY too much fun in college AND after graduating, I never thought I'd ever have to go again...so um, yah...) Anyways, Rod told me that UOP has an online program. I mean, people can get their degrees, certifications, etc, entirely online. I was hesitant at first, but after doing some research and realizing that I didn't have to go into an actual classroom and go to class whenever I felt, I went for it. I signed up, got financial aid, and started class. Definitely a rigorous program, but I have learned and benefitted MORE than I did when I was in the credential program at State. Now, not only am I working towards my teaching credential, BUT my Masters in Education as well! Oh, and not to leave Ruth out! Back in the day, we all took a trip down to Fresno for Tita Lulu and Tito Manny's anniversary. The ceremony and reception was to be at their relative's dope house. The Barangay kids prepared a program and I remember Ruth wrote a poem. I mean, we were all young then, but when I saw her creativity shine through, I got inspired. I don't consider myself a good writer, but I've tried my hand at it here and there. So there you have it...the Penalosa gang has been there for me and I totally love them like my own family! They probably don't even realize how much of an impact they've had on my life...hopefully one day, I can do something just as great for them as they did for me.

No comments: