Thursday, September 25, 2003

Duluth, Minnesota
Hubby had to go to a site for work in Duluth, about 2 hours away from where we are. I decided to accompany hubby for the ride and to see what else MN has to offer. The ride itself was very scenic. The leaves are in the process of changin' colors and let me tell you, very pretty. Turns out that Duluth is way up north, about 20 minutes from the Wisconsin border, an old industrial city right on Lake Superior...yah, one of the Great Lakes! My one complaint about moving to the Midwest was the fact that I wouldn't have access to any beaches...REAL beaches, mind you, where the water goes as far as the eye can see into the horizon. Locals have bragged that they've got dozens of beaches at all the lakes here. Bah! That just ain't the same...I don't want to be mesmerized by the water and waves only to have a jogger pass my line of vision on the other side of the lake! Nuh uh! So as we drive into Duluth, Lake Superior can't help but catch my eye and wow! I thought I was back in the Bay! It's HUGE! It's not like anyone can run a couple miles around it, no way. It was like looking out into the vast ocean. We walked along a pier that went a ways out- lake looked pretty deep to me! There were sailboats and kayakers out and one of the first thoughts that came to mind was, "Do you think there are sharks in this lake?" LOL! C'mon...I've watched "Jaws" way too many times! Nonetheless, the city itself is considered a lil' getaway...put in Bay Area terms, it's a cross between Sausalito and Monterey. Seems there's lots to do there and it being just a few hours away, gives one an excuse to ditch work for a day. In case you're interested, check out Duluth for yourself.

Birthday reflections
On Monday (9/22), I sent an email to one of my oldest friends from college, Guam1. We had met as part of the freshmen crew at SFState and have been friends ever since. Our lives have gone separate paths since then, but still keep in touch for birthdays and holidays. I had to mention this because Guam1 emailed me a note of thanks for remembering his b-day. He also wrote that it's just amazing how after all these years, we've remained friends even though we don't keep in touch as often. I'm a true believer in that...just because friends don't call each other everyday or hang out as often as they'd like, time and distance shouldn't be a factor. You pick up where you last left off, just like you do when you bookmark a page in a book. Things do not necessarily have to change; you start back up where you left off. It'd just be wrong to say that you don't have anything in common with someone because of time away from a friendship because you've missed out on certain events in their life that you're cut out for good. I'm saying this because this is the exact thing that has happened in my life. You could say I was bitter about it all, but I'm all good now. My life has turned for the better and if you know me well, you'd know I have no regrets. Life ain't fair all the time and it can be a total bitch, too, but I also believe that all things happen for a reason and all people who come into our lives have a purpose...some come and go, some remain and stick around for the long haul, but all come to touch a life in their own special way. That's the way I look at it and that's what I'm stickin' to.

On a side note, I never finished up my last week in da City. The Saturday before we left, it was my Apu's ("grandmother" in Kapangpangan) 87th birthday. I was looking forward to the birthday because I knew this was the perfect time to say my goodbyes for now to family. Twasn't a huge gathering unlike our other parties, but still lots of good food (lumpia!) to go around. Hubby and I couldn't really stay long 'cuz we had to finish up our packing and so I started my rounds. You know, this whole move has been very emotional for me and I've been really proud that the "dam of emotions" hadn't broken...until I hugged my Apu. She asked me why we were leaving so early and I explained that we still had to pack...pack for what, she asked...for our flight to Minnesota. She knew that I was moving, but that look of surprise on her face tugged at my heart. She gave me one of those hugs that linger, the ones where you don't want to let go, but have to...yah, one of those. I had to pull away from her 'cuz I felt my eyes fill up. I didn't want to cry! We started for the stairs while I tried to compose myself when Apu started calling my name. She literally pushed hubby aside and threw her arms around me and without saying a word, gave me the biggest bear hug. That did it...the tears came. You know when you start to cry and you try your damndest to hold it back, but it only makes it worse and it ends up making you like a blubbering idiot? Yah, that was me. I had also wanted to give Sabrina and Nico a lil' talk...you know, be good, listen to your mom and dad, say your prayers, help take care of your lil' brother, do well in school...that kind of thing, but I didn't. I think if I did, the entire dam would've given way. I hope they know how much I miss them...

UNPACKING...still!
I've lost track of how many days it has taken us to unpack our stuff...we HAVE made a dent, tho! The walls are no longer bare...ya'll know how I hate white space! We've put up our Kim Taylor Reece art pieces and I have to say, it gives the living room some "character." The TV, entertainment, and surround sound has been set up and we've got candles galore everywhere for that extra touch. It'll be nice when it's all set up, kalat gone, and ready for visitors...that's a hint, people!

No comments: