Sunday, February 14, 2010

LUCKY 7

It's about time. It's been a long time coming. I've dreamed about this and yearned for it for years, only to be left disappointed and heartbroken each time. It's stupid, really, for me to want to celebrate Valentine's Day...something so overly commercialized where people are sucked in to believe that this is the day to tell the people we love how we feel. Shouldn't that be everyday? Of course! But sad to say, I'm still a sucker. A corny, hopeless romantic.

I actually don't recall the last real Valentine's Day that I celebrated. For sure, none while I was married stick out in my mind. Since 2003, this holiday got lost in the cracks and just became a regular, ordinary day. Then, there was that first Valentine's that I had after coming back from Minnesota...I ended up watching "Music and Lyrics" at the theaters all my lonesome. How pathetic was I?!

In 2009, I began the year with such high hopes. I thought, this MAY be the year that my "dry spell" of having a "black day" on Love Day would be over. I thought wrong. BUT...there was a lil' piece of sunshine that peaked from behind the clouds. I "met" this guy online... LOL! Not those stories again! On the real, he was this college professor from Texas. Nice guy, easy to talk to, and sweet enough to send me a beautiful bouquet of flowers in time for Valentine's Day...and we've never even met! We talked for a few weeks, but with the time difference and our busy schedules, the interest dwindled. It was mutual. No hard feelings. Still, it was nice to know that someone thought about me that day.

2009 continued on. For a while, I surrendered myself to the fact that I was left with no other option but to start online dating again. I tried, but it got tired very quickly. Coffee dates came and went. I even saw this guy for a couple of months, although I wouldn't have labeled him as my boyfriend. Prior to him, I did have a steady relationship for about six months with a guy whom I though had lots of potential, but unfortunately, he didn't feel the same way and it was time to move on.

All of these dates, all of the supposedly potential guys...all of them helped me to further get on with my life. Each and every time I put myself out there, I was becoming a more confident woman. I knew that I wouldn't be happy with just anyone and I respected myself enough now to find a guy who respected me in return as well.

Fast forward to Valentine's Day 2010. I spent a quiet evening with my guy. I've been with my sweets since July and it's been quite a ride thus far. No relationship is perfect and we've definitely had our share of ups and downs. But through breakups and makeups, we're still together. We continue to grow and learn about each other...and as it is leading, to a deeper level of commitment that we both have been searching for.

It took seven years- SEVEN YEARS- to finally enjoy and spend a Valentine's holiday with someone. I was beginning to think that love wasn't in my cards, but thankfully, I was proven wrong.

*Happy 1st Valentine's Day, Sweets...I love you.

No comments: