Monday, October 15, 2007

PACE 40th Anniversary

When I look back at my SF State days, I swear, the only thing that is worth remembering are my experiences with PACE. PACE (Pilipino American Collegiate Endeavor) is where it all started for me...my college life, my college experiences, the place where I met the friends who I now call my family. The saying is true, "...the friends you meet in college are the ones you'll have for life..." It holds true for me and I know it's true for many others. To think that a tiny, little office in the Student Union could be the center of so many unforgettable moments...there were many beginnings, many endings, much drama, and above all, much laughter. Who would've thought that a closet-sized room would hold so many memories...some of which I cannot even mention here! LOL! Yes, yes, some things are meant to stay on the DL...

The organization itself has a rich history...and this year marks the 40th anniversary. I won't go into the details simply because those who read this blog already know it...but it blows my mind to think that out of a student strike in 1967 sparked a new era in which PACE was formed and where a college of Ethnic Studies was founded. While PACE has definitely had its ups and downs and its cycle of being social and political, we have to remember its roots. We have to remember the struggles that the founding members went through just to have an organization established. As was read in an email from founder Pat Salavar, he had no idea how far PACE would go. He had no idea that it would last more than three years...and look at it now- 40 years and going strong!

I will say this...I am proud to have been part of PACE. I was lucky enough be serve in the leadership as CORE (Cultural, Internship, and Finance) and even luckier still, to serve with my best friends. As I told Keyopes this past weekend, it really was my peers who inspired me to step up in those leadership roles. Never in my life would I have thought I'd be able to do it, but my friends pushed me and encouraged me...and for that, I am forever thankful.

College was most definitely the time where I was the most politically active and aware. It was the time in which I was most active in the Pilipino community, aside from my involvement in Pilipino folkdancing. I learned SO MUCH about my history and most importantly, I learned so much about myself as a person and as a Pinay. These years in PACE formed me into the person I am...along with great friends, it really was the best years of my life. I look fondly back at those days and I am proud to say that the friends that I had then are still the same friends I have today. What a blessing!
-----------------------------
It amazes me that it's been 10 years since the 30th Anniversary! I think what made that event so wonderful was the fact that we actually had many of the founding members present: Pat Salavar, Judge Ronald Quidachay, Alex Soria, and of course, Dan Begonia and Dan Gonzalez to name a few. This time around, only the Dans were in attendance...and they were presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award.

The oldest CORE in attendance were actually Keyopes, Dr. C, and myself. We had a good time reminiscing, but all the same, wishing that more of the gang was there. The event was held at Ristorante Portofino in Pacifica...a nice lil' restaurant right by the water. It was a night of appetizers, drinks, slideshows, stories, and lots of laughter....lot of networking going on as well. It's neat to see how much PACE has grown (and well, how much has changed...).

Here a few pics!

Ristorante Portofino in Pacifica


Setting sun


Keyopes, Uncle Dan Gonzalez, Uncle Dan Begonia, MnM, and Dr. C


the Camantigues and Prof. Begonia


Pictorials...should we have done a PROM pose?!

Generation gap, my ass! We still look GOOD! Lol!

No comments: