Monday, October 08, 2007

MnM's Holiday

One of the definite perks of being a teacher is getting all of the holidays off- thanks Christopher Columbus...even though you really didn't discover America!
I actually had the day fabulously planned out to a tee, but unfortunately, I slept through the entire morning! I woke up with that "oh crap!" sinking feeling, thinking that I wasted the whole day...but once I was up, I was determined to make the most of it.

Because of the wonderful weather that the city has been blessed with these past few days, I decided to go biking. It was my intention to head out to Pier 27 and take a free tour of one of the ships, but once I got there, the lines were so long. Aren't ya'll supposed to be at work, people?! Instead, I ended up biking up and down the Embarcadero, weaving in and out of tourists, playing tourist myself as I whipped out my camera, and being sadly disappointed that there weren't as many sailors out and about! Lol! I'm kidding on that one...remember, I'm swearing ALL military guys off! Seriously though, it was a nice day to NOT work.

I parked right under the Bay Bridge around the corner of Gordon Biersh, stopped along Pier 5 (or is it 7?), oogled the ships from afar, and went all the way down to Pier 39. By the time I got there, a Navy band had just finished performing....cuties. The weather was perfect downtown...I could've rode up and down a couple more times, but my meter ran out.

I contemplated heading back home to my pile of papers...said SCREW IT...and made a u-turn in the direction of the Golden Gate Bridge. Found myself at the Marina (wasn't I just here for the Blue Angels airshow?), biked from Fort Mason all the way down to Crissy Field, just past the Sports Basement. By this time, there was a definite chill in the air as the fog began rolling in through the Golden Gate. I got to take some pics and even found my way to the beach- I seriously didn't know it was even there!

After a total of about three hours, I started to feel it in my legs. Most people wouldn't think that was very long, but we're talking about me here- lol. Yes, yes, even though most of it is flat, just the constant pedaling got me tired. I'm such a wimp! But hey, it felt good to be out and about, spending the day moseying around the city on a bike. There was something totally therapeutic about it really.

From the Marina, I usually take Geary up towards Ocean Beach. And man, talk about climate change! It was nothing but white fog...and it was c-o-l-d! But hey, that's the city for you!

It's hit me recently...I'm beginning to fall in love with the city once again. There really is so much to offer and do here. While I once pondered leaving, either to the Peninsula or to the East Bay, my heart is set in staying here. I have my eyes set on the Sunset or Marina...I may change my mind, but for now, that's how I feel.

Here's some pics from my day- enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are doing a mighty great job keeping up with the training after a long day at work dealing with all sort of "issues."

Keep it up and I'm proud of you. Watching you change your diet to having so much discipline to train as much as you inspires me....=)