Tuesday, October 16, 2007

ACSI Convention

Last week, along with three other teachers, I was sent to Sacramento for a teacher convention. ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) was a 2-day event held at the Sacramento Convention Center downtown. I was pretty excited because not only have I never been sent anywhere for work before, but it's rare that I find myself up in our state capitol.

The two days were packed with attending seminar after seminar on various aspects of education. What made it so unique was the fact that everything was based and focused on the Christian perspective. It was wonderful how each speaker began with a word of prayer. I went to this convention not knowing what to expect, but coming back with many hopes and aspirations for what I can do as an educator. It was inspiring to be in this huge auditorium filled with Christian teachers! Plus, one of the highlights of the event was the free concert by an a'capella Christian group called RESCUE. They led the praise and worship time and the blend of voices was simply beautiful. Of course I had to get their cds and starstruck me had to get it signed- lol!

I felt like I was in college all over again as I traveled from class to class. Ya'll know me, I'm one of those people who has to take notes. I got to pick and choose which seminars to attend, but at the same time, I also had to consider which ones would be best suited to bring back to school. The deal with school sending teachers to conferences is that we are required to present what we learned to the rest of the faculty. Kinda like giving them the seminar material in a nutshell. In my opinion, I think it would be incredibly beneficial for all teachers to attend a conference such as this simply because we are a Christian school. In fact, there were quite a few schools who basically declared a day-off for the students so that their entire staff could attend. It just seems appropriate is all I'm saying. Talk about working in a "kuriput" school- sheesh! LOL!

Anyways, aside from RESCUE, a couple classes resonated. These had to do with serving overseas in International Schools and/or using my talents to serve as a missionary.

There is something called the 10/40 WINDOW...I never heard of it before. 10/40 is basically the degrees longitude and latitude of the equator...and the countries that fall in this window are the ones most in need of hearing the Word of God. What makes this "window" so unique is that foreign missionaries are basically banned...and more often than not, the dangers are magnified if you are not a native. There are programs to financially support native missionaries, but at the same time, the numbers just do not cut it. Incredibly, there are so many who choose to go, knowing the risks of danger, but doing it for the sole purpose of winning them to Christ...and I am inspired beyond belief that this is something that I have to do.

There has been this "burden in my heart" for the past few years...I feel that God is calling me to go and serve overseas. I can't quite explain it really. Often, I question whether or not I am suitable to be among those who serve...I don't feel that my Biblical knowledge is strong and yet, my desire to go grows stronger each time. I was reminded that God often uses the weak to do His work. My co-worker, whom I roomed with, offered a perspective that never crossed my mind. Seeing that all of my possessions were left behind in Minnesota, I was left with the basics- my clothes and my car. I always joke with people...because it really makes for a funny story now...that I'm like those immigrant stories you hear..."...when I first came to America, I only had $5.00 in my pocket!..." When I left Minnesota, I literally had $20 to my name...and boy, let me tell you, I learned quickly how to make that $20 last! But perhaps God was preparing me to live a life with just the basic necessities so that I can go overseas??? Who knows? He sure does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He?

All I know is that I feel more convicted to go more than ever. The timing couldn't be better. I don't have a husband or family to worry about...and it just seems like THIS is my moment to give back. I'm not saying that I'm leaving tomorrow...but it's definitely something I've been contemplating for the near future.

Overall, it was a great trip. On the last day, I decided to take a fun class- a tour of the state capitol. Little did I know that it was only a 5-minute walk from the convention center! The only negative thing about that was the rain...the pouring rain! But aside from the cool things to see inside, the surrounding gardens was just as beautiful and enough for me to roam around in the rain and take pictures. Hahah...crazy lady with the camera! Had a good time hanging with the teachers I went with...not a crowd I'd usually hang with, but we made for good fun and conversations nonetheless. Depending where I am next year (will I be overseas? serving in that 10/40 window?), I would love to attend ACSI again. Here are some pics of lovely Sac!

1 comment:

MnM said...

for a lil' info on each pic, click on that "MORE" button in the top-right corner!