Saturday, September 01, 2007

Back To School!

First off, can I just say how THANKFUL I was for Friday to come??? Albeit we started class midweek, the last few days have been exhausting! Don't get me wrong...it's been so AWESOME to be back in the classroom with a new set of rugrats, but just getting into the routine of school again has been hell. Sleep? What's that?

This year, I have 25 kids. I forget how tiny these kids are at the beginning of the school year! By the end of day one, I could already tell you which are the talkers, the potential trouble makers, the shy kids, the sweet one, the good non-trouble students, the academically focused, and the there-but-not-there kids. Teachers always complain about the first few days of school because it's full of so much talking on our part. This is true. I don't do any real work just yet because in the beginning, all of the rules need to be laid down and the routines have to be set. But I also don't like to do that much talking. I like to focus on getting to know the kids and getting them involved in some type of group activity. Even if it means they get to color with a bunch of friends, I am interested to know how they interact with each other and get a feel of who they are as a person.

There is one particular student that was dubbed "the winner" last year. And by "winner," we're talking opposites here. This kid just happened to be different. Not sure if he had been professionally diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but he surely exhibits many of the signs. The problem last year was that his teacher had a difficult time with him...and this kid was ALWAYS in trouble. Because I had already known about this student, I really didn't agree with how he was treated. Teachers simply cannot treat all students the same way- it's just not possible. By the end of the year, it was already established that he would be in my class...and I was okay with it.

This student has a terrible reputation...but to me, that's all it is. I don't care what other teachers have said because I have seen with my very own eyes what a cool kid he could be. Practically every day this week, I've been bombarded with the question of how so-and-so is doing. To that, I answer the same, "He's fine!" Yes, he's a bit talkative and yes, he forgets to raise his hand when he wants to say something, and yes, he's always forgetting to push in his chair when he gets out of his seat. But so is the rest of the class! I've learned early on that you need to deal with children on an individual basis...if not, you'll have a helluva year. This is why I spend the first few days getting to know my kids...and yah, they are MY kids. Each year I've taught, I've genuinely loved each and every one of my students, no matter how much trouble they were or how difficult it was to reach them. It's something that all kids need.

This kid? I learned that he loves basketball...and rap music...and his favorite movie right now is "Snakes on a Plane." Hahaha..don't ask. The whole parental guidance thing already ran through my mind, but well, yah... Just knowing these few things will help me connect with him better...and THIS, in my opinion, is what makes all the difference.

It's also been so wonderful to see my last year's kids. Gosh, how they've grown! But to see them wave hello to me or even run up to give me a hug is THANK YOU enough for me to have been their teacher.

A side tidbit that's just been really awkward is dealing with the change of "Mrs." to "Miss." So many questions floating around, but what can I do?

Anyways...Labor Day weekend is here and I've got a few days to catch up on sleep and plan the next few weeks. The first few days of school have been great...if I had to give it a grade, I'd give it an A-.

No comments: