Friday, September 07, 2007

Blessed

As the first week of school comes to a close, I'm struck with almost the exact same feeling I had at this time last year. I remember having a conversation with either Sha or Ethan's Mommy about how I really came to love my kids so quickly after school started. For the record, I can sincerely and genuinely say that I've loved all of the kids that I've taught. I may not have liked some at one time or another; it may have taken longer for me to connect to them; but whatever the case, at the end of the year, I ALWAYS have this certain nostalgic feeling about "letting them go" off to the next grade level. Last year, it happened within the first few days of school and it took me somewhat by surprise. The kids were rowdy and excitable, they often needed reminders, but I really fell in love with my students last year! We had lots of laughs and good times, but omigoodness, we also had our B-A-D days, too. But despite all of that, I knew right away that they would a special class to me.

I have the same feeling about this new group of kids. They have such a different personality from last year's kids, but then again, it IS only the first week of school. The first few days of school are the most crucial. This is the time for teachers to set the tone of the classroom. At the same time, these are the moments when I love getting to know who my students are, their likes and dislikes, and to see how they interact with others.

I learned that I have some kids who are VERY encouraging to their friends. It really is some of the sweetest things anyone could ever witness. For example, I overheard one of my boys tell his friend, "C'mon buddy, you can do it!" Talk about having a good attitude and not letting everything be about them! During a Math drill where the class needs to complete some problems within a certain time period, I asked who did not finish and that same boy raised his hand. Instead of crying about it like some kids have done in the past, he said with a smile, "I was so close! I only had one more!"

I don't know about other teachers, but for me, it only takes ONE student to get me MORE excited than I already am to teach...and that boy is it for me. I love his attitude, his encouraging spirit, his ability to be a leader without being bossy, and just his overall friendly persona. I feel blessed to have this student in my class, as well as all the other kids, too, because I know that I can learn something from each one.

The year has started off on a wonderful note...and I look forward to the rest of the school year with these kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...what are your plans this Friday, Sept. 14?

Brilliant Embers Presents Aaron Shust (SHOOOOST), Seventh Day Slumber, Group1Crew, Esterlyn & comedy by Bob Smiley (WHO'S BOB SMILEY? HAH) in Concert.

It's kinda far, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.