Saturday, March 17, 2007

My Week in Pictures

I feel like I've done so much this week; yet at the same time, I feel like such a bum! Da City had the greatest weather this week...that's right, beautiful and sunny! I found myself at the beach almost every day this week and it was nice. Anyways, just wanted to share a few pics of how my week went...Enjoy!

Darlingon Book Club
For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a part of a book club. Books are my passion! I've prided myself in building up a library of books that range in genre and am down to choose a good book over a night at the club. When Mrs. Voodoo decided to put one together, I was psyched! Unfortunately, with all the papers I constantly have to correct and with the drama that is my life, I haven't had time to pick up anything. Horrors, I know! Last year, I bought a Book Journal to help me keep track of the latest books I read. I'll be honest, I started many and didn't read them to its end. But with all the transitions and whatnot, I managed to read 11 books in 2006. The number seems so small- it is. Considering when I was out in Minnesota, I would read for days on end...hours on end...shoot, give me a good read and I'll have it done by dinner. But 11 is not so bad...and I'm proud to say that they weren't all chick-flick novels! I had non-fiction in there somewhere... In any case, I finally attended a meeting with the Darlingtons last Sunday(never mind that I didn't ever READ the book...okay, I didn't even GET the book...dammit). We met up for brunch in downtown Emeryville at a place called Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe. Very cool, eclectic-kind-a-place...Green Day has been known to frequent it now and then. Prices are very reasonable and the food is pretty good. Hot chocolate was YUM! I wouldn't mind goin' again...fyi: make a reservation. Thanks Mrs. Voodoo and ladies....next time, I WILL read the book!

Da Meeting Place


Monkey Art


Mommy-To-Be-Again- love the shirt!


Girl Dinner
MonkeyBallz, BFF, and I went to eat at Olive Garden the other night. These two have been stressing out over job interviews and the possibilities of moving out of state, out of country, for over a month. I had thought I was just being invited along for coffee after school, but I ended up helping them with practice sessions. There was one time where I actually got bummed because if, no wait, WHEN they get their new job, that would mean they'd be leaving. There's only a handful of people that I work with that make coming to work each day enjoyable...and they are a part of that group. 'Course, as happy as I would be for them, I'd still feel a sort of sadness on my selfish part. MonkeyBallz (a nickname that I can't even begin to explain- lol!) had an interview out in Boston. If all went well, she'd have the opportunity to teach overseas in Beijing for two years. Lo and behold, she was accepted! She's totally excited - she's young, she's single, and how great will that look on a resume, right? It started to hit her that she'll be gone by summer's end, but I'm so proud of her for making this huge step for her career. As far as BFF is concerned, she's done her share of interviews, was debating between a move to either Vegas or Denver, but has finally decided to stick it a little bit longer in the Bay. Hooray! Her hubby and her are still making a huge transition though- selling their current home and moving to a different city. While the move would've been a great chance to start brandnew, her ties to the Bay are too strong to leave behind right now. Plus, who knows, if it's all part of God's plan for them to stay, I may be ninang again sometime soon...

One of many toasts that night!


BFF, MnM, and MonkeyBallz
Can we have the check, Chuck?


Date with a Dummy

Yes...that is MnM up above, giving mouth-to-mouth to a dummy. We had a refresher course on CPR yesterday and got our re-certification renewed. Now, one wouldn't think that a CPR class could be so fun and enjoyable, but if ya'll were with the group that I was with yesterday, we had a ball! First and foremost, there was a typo on the practice sheet that we had to follow...and y'know me, I will point it out. But the instructor kept reiterating to "read it as is the first time..." OKAY! So this is what I read, "Asses the situation if the scene is safe..." Hello??? ASSES... Does anyone else see that??? Well, after I pointed it out to my group and after I told them that we had to read it as is, we just couldn't stop cracking up! To make matters worse, I busted out my camera and while I am telling BFF to "take me when I'm doing mouth-to-mouth", how come no one told me instructor guy was right behind me?! LOL..."having fun, ladies?" Boy...talk about embarrassing! (and btw: I DID point out the typo to the instructor and he thought it was hilarious because he has been using the exact sheet for over a year and NO ONE has pointed that out- LOL! Well, that's what you get when you're in a room full of teachers...)

Anyways, this is just FYI- the numbers have changed when it comes to CPR. Originally, to administer adult CPR, it was 15:2 - that is, do 15 chest compressions to 2 breaths of air.

The new ratio is now this: 30:2 - 30 chest compressions to 2 breaths of air. This is the same for adults and children (ages 8 and up).

Why the change? Chest compressions are all about getting circulation of air going through the body again, but studies have shown that the circulation JUST gets started by the 12th or 13th compression. By doing 30, the body is more likely to get what it needs. There are other studies, too, that say if someone just does chest compressions (without giving breaths of air), that is doable, too. With all the fear of contracting any infectious diseases such as HIV, those with the knowledge of CPR will choose NOT to use it. Doing chest compressions is better than doing nothing at all. I tell you, after practicing on our dummy the 3rd time around, my arms were exhausted! Plus, I was feeling a tad light-headed, too...from too much laughing, maybe? Lol. As great as it is to have this life-saving skill (and I believe EVERYONE should get their certification), I hope and pray that I will never be called to use it.

Concert by the Beach

Headed to the beach yesterday after work...can I just say again what beautiful weather da city has been getting??? Again, it was crowded with folks lounging around, people watching, doing their thang, etc. As I parked, I was met by the sounds of not only drums, but of an electric guitar, too! A group had brought the whole ensemble of drums, guitar, bass, amps, and was hooked by via their car. They were cool! Their sound was somewhere between rock and reggae...people, myself included, just sat along the wall, bopped our heads, and listened. What a perfect way to spend the day! The music matched the personality of the day. I must've sat there for about two hours and they just played the entire time. Later on, a guy with a flute came in and the addition of that instrument added a neat, yet eerie sound. I noticed that they had copies of a cd they made- would've bought one if I had the cash. I didn't even inquire what the name of their band was called- I just wanted to enjoy it. Kinda reminded me of Green Day and how they started out locally before they made it big. Who knows about this band?


I do tend to stay at the beach late into the night...especially on clear nights. This one came out a tad blurry, but if you can see that white fuzzy image near the lightpole, that was the first star I saw that night. Did I make a wish on it? You betcha'! ('scuse my Minnesota-ness...)

4 comments:

shasha said...

Great nite :-)

Anonymous said...

haa thanks for putting me in your blog!! I am so honored to be monkeyballz!! btw, it's.."Can we have the CHUCK please??" LOL!!

MnM said...

Girrrrrl....you are SO bad! I knew Sha and I should've tried harder to get Chuck to squeeze the lemons- LOL!

c o n s u e l a said...

great shots with good company! :)
have a good week ahead *hugs*