Thursday, March 08, 2007

Get Plugged

Ya'll may already be in the know about the following people and their sites, but I just wanted to put a plug here in my blog about them.

The first is Happyslip.com. This Christine chick from New York is a production of one (camera, acting, editing, writing, singing) - she puts together these H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S videos on YouTube and unlike some of the people just wanting to get some free airtime, hers are actually good! I'm not sure whether this Pinay sista is serious about pursuing comedy or what, but this video venture of hers is definitely an outlet for her creativity. She's got a collection of videos to her name and I kid you not, they are ALL worth watching. For those of us born and raised here in the U.S., I can safely say that our Filipino accents can be totally faked, yah? But Happyslip chick? She SO has it down! (and her impersonations of her mom are hold-your-tummy-from-too-much-laughing funny...) If you go through her vids, she does make a point to say that she ain't trying to make fun of the accent or her family members, etc; rather, it's to show the many daily goings-on of what happens on a typical day. For you computer geeks out there, I thought you might enjoy this...and if you're a James Blunt fan, you'll dig this, too.


Two words: hella talented.

Also gotta mention Josh Verdes. Came across this Pinoy brother from a Happyslip production! He is on the up-and-up, trying to get a cd of his music out, but on his website, you can hear a few of his very own original songs. He plays acoustic guitar as well as the electric, and I guess you can say that I was totally drawn to him because yours truly has been venturing in teaching herself how to play. (Quick sidenote- I bought an acoustic guitar for $100 back in '99...fiddled with it back and forth for a bit, but when I moved to MN, left it behind....hold up, did I tell this story already??? Aiya...anyways, fast forward to today, I've been inspired (again!). I've already developed some nasty calluses on my fingers, but I am far from mastering the finger flexibility thing...me and my short fingers! OH......I also bought myself a UKELELE! J and Rho- ya'll gotta show me what you know! More on that later...)

Anyways, Josh Verdes, another talented brotha, is DOPE. I dig his songs and he actually does a video of where he tries to teach you the chord progressions of one. What's funny is, he says he doesn't even know the names of the chords! (Almost reminded me of Phoebe in Friends where she's trying to teach guitar...). He also lists the many artists that he digs and it ranges from R&B to the alternative Christian rock like Chris Tomlin and the David Crowder Band, who btw, are AWESOME to listen to...ya'll don't have to be Christian to dig the sound- lol. The song that was on the Happyslip video is called "Home"- it has that make you feel good sound...makes me think of the good old days and just being with family. If you check out his website, do watch his other videos...he does some electric guitar, too. Man...to be so musically inclined....some people make me sick with envy! Seriously...this dude is someone to watch out for. *I couldn't figure out how to post the his YouTube vid here, so ya'll just have to check out his site!*

If you got the time (and if you're reading my blog, you DO have the time!), check these two out...'tis always good to see some talented Pinoys trying to make it big out there, yah? Spread the word!

1 comment:

MnM said...

I swear...I want to get the James Blunt piano piece for "Beautiful" now! I WILL learn how to play it...