Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Girly-girl


Just for the record, MnM is NOT a girly-girl. I simply refuse to be one. So what's the big deal if my favorite colors include pink and red now?! So what if I enjoyed my hair being curled after my haircut yesterday? And so what if I got a free mini-makeover at the Shiseido counter today! (the key word being FREE, people!)


Today's events are not even close to an admission of being a girly-girl. The way I see it, I'm just finally learning to take care of my skin. That's right. At 30 years old (proud to be, yes I am!), I decided that it was time to up my beauty regimen to ensure my skin keeps that healthy glow. Yes, yes, our skin does age more gracefully than other people, but still, it was time to give up the Noxema.


Noxema. Remember how back in the day it was used to help treat sunburns? Remember how it used to sting your face, but you just convinced yourself that it was just how it worked to clean your face? Well, I've been using that facial cream ever since I can remember! It's got to be over 15 years...egads. Okay, so I was still sticking to the routine that I used in high school. Why fix something that ain't broke, right? WRONG. Last month, I wandered around the beauty counters of Marshall Fields (think Macy's) because I saw an ad in the paper that they were offering free consultations and whatnot. I figured that since I don't know much about makeup stuff, why not. My first inclination was to go by the Clinique counter because they've always got some good deals with some type of free gift if you purchase something. When I got there, there was a much older lady with, I hate to say, hideous-looking-trying-to-recapture-her-youth makeup on. I figure, she's going to try to sell me products that she herself wears and let me tell you, I've never ever wanted to look like a clown! So I mosey down to the next counter which happens to be the Shiseido counter. A young Asian looking lady greets me and I figure, yes, she could probably help me better. Turns out that the chick is Pinay and we get into this friendly ole' conversation about this and that. She continues to tell me about the Shiseido line and I tell her that I've used them before. In fact, when I was dancing with Larawan, our director introduced us to Shiseido. Although it was expensive, that became our stage makeup. I'm not really a stranger to Shiseido, but at the same time, I've never really learned how to apply anything myself.

So we're talking about skin and she's asking what I'm currently using, etc. After about a half hour, she had convinced me to try a new facial regimen. Her instructions: no more Noxema. I gotta tell you, after only a few days of using the perscribed cleansing foams and cleaner, my skin was different...in a good way! It used to get easily dried out after washing with Noxema, but now it doesn't. Cool! I realy like how my skin feels...more hydrated and healthier. After spending too much than I should've (but remember, this is for healthier looking skin now!), I think I found something that actually works. Yay!


Pinay chick invited me to come to a free "seminar." In other words, a free makeover. I already had so many questions on how to apply this and that, which colors would match my skin tone, and whether or not they had SPF anything in them. I was prepared, people! Just my luck, I got an older lady. For a split second, she reminded me of the clown from Clinique, but after a bit of talking, I felt that she was cool. The makeover itself was cool. I'm not totally into makeup in the first place and I stressed that I was looking for the natural look. Suprisingly, the lady pulled through. Okay, so we had a few bumps when she wanted to put blue and gold eyeshadow on me and yes, she did apply the mascara on a bit too thick. I did take a peek at her eyelashes and wouldn't you know it? Clumpy as hell- LOL! Other than that, she chose neutral colors that I was happy with. Yes, so happy that I ended up taking some of them home with me. Aiya! I didn't go crazy and again, I was never into makeup and caking shiet on my face, but it was cool. It's nice to be pampered and done up like that once in a while. And I think that it's about time that I learn to do things for myself makeup-wise, eh?


So again, let me stress to ya'll that MnM is NOT, I repeat NOT, a girly-girl. I have not been brainwashed to "the dark side." Everyone got that? Is that settled? Good.


I'll catch up with ya'll later. Gotta make that appointment for my manicure! =)

No comments: