Thursday, February 03, 2005

Animal Planet


I was channel surfing today after the usual WB lineup. Sad to say, I wasn't too interested in hearing the state of the union address. I got caught up on Animal Planet when hubby noticed that the Animal Care & Control officer on TV had a San Francisco badge. Ohhhh....I am always up for watching anything taking place in da city! Everytime there's a show, documentary, or anything else like that on, I'm always watching out for people I might recognize or places that I've been to. Yes, it's a crazy thing that I do.


The program was called Animal Cops: San Francisco. The first few incidents involved 25 feral cats in an apartment (which was a tad hilarious to watch...they used huge nets to catch 'em!), two dogs named Jack and Jill who had apparently been trained to fight (which is illegal!), and a lost love bird. It was hard to distinguish where exactly these incidents were taking place 'cuz they never showed the street signs. In any case, my ears totally perked up when I heard McClaren Park. Why? Because those are my old stomping grounds and the place where I grew up. This has GOT to be good.


Get this: it involved a feisty rooster locked in a cage who was "probably" being trained to fight. Goodness me, doesn't that sound too much like "sabong" (cock fighting)? When the ACC officers go to the suspected house, who but a little tiny Lola answers the door. Aw man....those peeps are Filipino! The officer guy is asking all these questions and Lola tells him that the rooster belongs to her grandson. Age of grandson? 10 years old. The kid's mom comes home and is told that the rooster and duck (yes, there was a duck) had to be surrendered over to him, but she was refusing. She said that the animals belonged to her son..."those are his pets. You have to come back and talk to him about it." It was kinda embarrassing to hear the officer basically lecture Remy (the mom) that she ultimately has the responsibility to have these "pets" taken away despite what the kid says. After convincing her that if she would be fined and possibly be taken to court for refusing, she consented. So officer guy takes the duck and the rooster, but not without getting bitten or cut by the sabong wannabe fighter. Here Lola is following officer guy and even saying how good of a fighter the rooster is. Officer guy agrees and shows his minor injury to which Lola exclaims (in a thick Pinay accent while hitting officer guy in the arm), "Oh my God! That's like me, my hand bleeding, too!" Too cute, Lola.


Just when I thought it was done, it gets better. Officer guy is sharing his thoughts outside the house when I notice that directly behind him is noneother than Cornerstone Academy! Holy crap- LOL! I saw the gym, the school building, the parking lot, the gate...there was no mistake. Man...what I would've given to see that go down live!


Of All Places!


American Idol. Ya'll know you're watching it, too! The last stop to search for the potential American Idol took place in da city by the Bay, San Francisco! Whoo hoo! In the last few weeks when they mentioned that S.F. would be its final stop, I automatically assumed that the auditions would be somewhere downtown- Civic Center, Convention Center... But lo and behold, they were held at the Cow Palace! Can it BE any closer to my old neighborhood??? They say a record number showed up, but my question is, how come I never heard about it?! A whole grip of people at the Cow Palace...in the hood. Wow. That's cool, but shame on my family and friends for not mentioning this to me! This is the lil' stuff that I crave to hear about, people! LOL! Well, sad to say, I didn't see any familiar faces this time around, but it was a treat to see different parts of the city during the show. *sigh*


And of course, it wouldn't have been complete if someone didn't sing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." =)


I don't know about you, but I was disappointed that I didn't see any Pinoy bruthas and sistas up in there. It may be up to that chick from Vegas!



Lastly...


It's Groundshog Day today. It's not a day that I usually have etched in my mind for any particular reason, but I learned that this is not the case the Midwest. Apparently, it is a HUGE day of celebration...or not. I wish I were kidding when I say that people liken that lil' rodent to a king. Well, I've gotten the whole shadow thing completely mixed up. I originally thought that if the lil' bugger came out of its hole and saw its shadow, it meant that spring was on its way. Nope. 'Tis the other way around. If it sees its shadow, it means that winter will extend its stay for another six or more weeks.


Just our luck...the damn thing saw its shadow. DOH!

No comments: