Friday, December 12, 2003

Keepin' It Real

I'm not one to share details of what goes on in my personal life. This is not reality tv, thank goodness. But it is a blog, an online journal in which anyone and everyone can and will read what I write. I honestly don't put so much thought into what I write. I basically reflect on the day and weed out what I think would be of any interest. I can say that more or less, much of what I blog about is what I'm feeling at the moment. There have been times where I've written something, reread it, edited it, published and posted it, reread it again, then scrapped it altogether. It's this long process of censorship on my part. Censoring what I think might not be appropriate, purposefully taking out phrases or comments that people may find offensive, and basically choosing my words carefully as if my mom or any of my students were reading this. But then again, I think that by doing that, I'm not doing myself or this blog any justice because then, my thoughts and words would not be authentic expressions of how I'm feeling. This is my blog and website, is it not? Why should I tiptoe on eggshells for everyone when this is just my way of expressing myself? Hell, if ya'll don't like what I write, don't read it. Simple as that.

Two People...
Doh and MnM. The two people whose lives changed as they met on dancefloor of Polly Esther's in da City. Doh was the one tryin' to get his freak on with the girl he got paired up with- MnM. According to Doh, it seemed that she really wasn't responding to any of his questions, so he decided to impress MnM with his knowledge of musical lyrics and Michael Jackson dance impersonations. MnM, knowing that Polly Esther's played old skool music, was intrigued that this dude actually knew all the lyrics to the music. "Exactly how old is this fool?" she thought.

One Life...
From Polly Esther's to pajammy jam, to having lunch at then Punahele's to "a walk to remember" on the Golden Gate Bridge, so started the beautiful relationship of Doh and MnM. After dating for more than a year, Doh popped the big question with a proposal that will go down in history as one of the most romantic and MnM accepted. Although the original plans of the wedding didn't go through, a ceremony took place at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco and despite all the drama that it took for us to get to that point it was truly a day to remember.

One Love...
It's been four months since we've celebrated our 1st year wedding anniversary. We celebrated by packing up our apartment for our move to Minnesota and by eating our wedding cake that's been in our freezer for the past year. Surprisingly, it wasn't gross or nasty at all. Had a tinge of freezer burn, but that's about it. It's always been said that the first year of any marriage is the hardest. It's a major transition and a huge step. Doh and I have definitely had our share of ups and downs. It's one of those things that's to be expected.

Our marriage isn't perfect- in fact, it's far from it. That's what makes life with Doh interesting and exciting because there's always something new to learn and we're constantly keeping each other on our toes. We do have our fights/arguments/discussions/quarrels, whatever you want to call it, and they're not pretty. In my opinion, relationships without any quarrels are boring. Not to say that couples should constantly be at each other's throats, but that arguments here and there are healthy and important in the growth of the marriage. One thing to remember is that there is always a solution to a problem. It may not be obvious right away, but it's one of those, "where there's a will, there's a way" cases. As terrible as an argument may seem at the moment, it's not the end of the world. That's where you have to know your significant other and understand that they may need some space from you. No talking, no being in the same room with each other, no contact, no nothing. People just need time to cool off and regroup.

So that's what Doh and I did. Fought/argued/discussed/quarreled, whatever you want to call it. We avoided each other the entire day, cooled off, and regrouped. It's true what they say that the first year of marriage is the hardest. But it's also true when they say that the best part is making up. When two people have committed themselves in marriage, it's for forever. In good times and in bad. Two people, one life, one love. Simple as that.



No comments: