Thursday, October 13, 2005

What A Weekend!

The last I wrote, I was just happy, um, semi-happy, that the field trip was over. Thankfully my prayers were answered and no lil' 3rd graders were lost. Score! Had a great reunion with the Hustler crew and was on my way back to the Twin Cities with hubby for the weekend.

Hubby and I had a bunch of things planned, but wouldn't you know it, he had to get sick! And when I say sick, I mean, 100 degree temperature, lethargic, and not keeping anything down. Ew, I know. Hubby felt bad because it was like we wasted a day. Him sick in bed and me..haha..doing a month's load of laundry! Just kidding! No, while he was out of temporarily out of commission, I took the time to correct papers, clean up, and just enjoy the house. 'Cuz damn, I really miss my house! Anyways, as mentioned, hubby was already bummed that we weren't able to hit up the things on our list...plus, I was scheduled to return back to CA on Tuesday. Boo. Well, turns out that he felt better the next day and we got to watch "Just Like Heaven." What a cute movie! It was just enough corny and just enough romantic to hold me over..considering that it's been a while since we've been to a movie!

"Just Like Heaven." Almost, but not really, like "Ghost." Had a different twist to it. Plus, Mark Ruffalo is in it. Not the typical leading man that you'd expect to "fall in love with." He's not Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, but he's just as lovable and endearing. He's kinda like Jimmy Fallon's teacher character in "Fever Pitch." Also, I think the Mark Ruffalo thang started in "13 Going on 30." Sweet.

Anyways, I really wanted to see "Just Like Heaven" not only because it's one of those typically corny romantic flicks that'll make me cry, (typical MnM), but also because it's set in da city by da Bay! And hey, if I wasn't representin' my hometown before, it's moreso since I moved to da Twin Cities, so it's clear that I just HAD to see it! Oh, and I have to mention this, but one of my aunties happens to be a regular extra on movies filmed in San Francisco and yes, she is in this one! Of course I didn't know it at the time, but she did tell me exactly where she was...so now, I have to see it AGAIN to check her out. Y'know...even though it was the back of her head...or her side view....STILL!

So yes..."Just Like Heaven." If you're anything like me, you'll dig this movie.

Okay...so hubby gets better, we watch a movie, do some shopping at the new stores that just opened near our house, bought some really cute shoes from DSW, and lo and behold, guess who decides to get sick?! Freaking me! And on the day that I'm supposed to fly back to CA....great.

Now, while I wish I could say that I was playing hooky and stayed an extra day to enjoy MN, but that wasn't the case. In fact, I was too sick to even move, let alone get myself on a plane. We decided to move my flight for the next day, I called in sick to work, and then made a date with the bed until the following day. I had a 100 degree temperature, felt nauseous like you wouldn't believe, got the chills, felt lethargic, felt achy, and just couldn't hang for the life of me. It was so sad. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Yuck.

I don't wake up until the following afternoon....say, like a couple of hours before I have to hit the airport. I get back to S.F. late last night, crash as soon as I get in, and struggled to make it to work today.

As much as many people might think, teachers really HATE to miss a day of work. It totally screws up the schedule of what you want to do with the class and as bad as this sounds, you could never really depend on substitutes to get anything done. Sucks. Oh, and let's not forget to mention how the kids in your class will somehow forget ALL of the rules you've spent so long ingraining into their heads and lose all sense of control of what to do and what not to do when their teacher happens to call in sick. Yah..that goes along with that lil' victory dance they do, too. Perhaps that's some kind of cool validation that hey, at least when I'm with them, they know what to do....or maybe not. And I have to say, in the years that I have taught, I have never had a class SO TALKATIVE! Anyways...I was NOT looking forward to what other teachers had to say about my class...and hey, I was right. No points given...at all. Bad. Bad. Bad. Lol.

Well, with what energy that I did NOT have today, I basically told them that yes, I heard about all of their rule breakings for the past few days, but that I would give them another chance to basically redeem themselves. I told them that I wasn't feeling well, and yes, the kids actually gave me a decent day today. While today is Thursday, it did feel like a Monday because I haven't seen them in so long. Let's just say that thank goodness tomorrow is Friday.

Smallville

Is anyone watching it right now? Am I the only one disturbed here that young Superman just got shot and supposedly died? Yes, I know it's not happening because then, hello, there would be no series or no movies, but still...

And can I just say that Smallville is THE BEST series ever and that if you don't watch it, then something is terribly wrong with you?

If having The Flash wasn't good enough for ya'll...look out for AquaMan next week....I can't wait!

No comments: