Saturday, October 22, 2005


Breast Cancer Walk

Today in Golden Gate Park, the American Cancer Society held its annual walk for breast cancer. I have always wanted to take part in a walk for cancer, but today was my first time. Homegirl Sharon with sidekick Sammy the dog and I headed to GGP...only to get lost. Dude...just because I've lived in the city my entire life does NOT mean that I know my way around! Yes, yes, it's like I'm a tourist in my own city. Sad, but true. Anyways, after some really lucky guesses, we found ourselves in the right place. Plus, all the people in pink walking by was a big clue. Parking was a bitch, but we finally found a spot around the Mile 4 marker. Basically, we had to walk a mile just to hit the registration tables! 'Twas all good though. A mile later, we were greeted by cheers of congratulations that we finally made it to the end, er, the beginning. We proceeded to get some free snacks and drink...found a fellow coworker who'd be joining us on our walk...took some pics...wandered around the different booths...bought a T-shirt...and finally got started.

The walk was five miles. 'Twas a pleasant day, even though it was overcast and foggy. I'm actually glad that it wasn't hot...I don't think I would've enjoyed a five mile trek in hot sweltering heat...as if da city often has those kinds of days.

In any case, it was a great day for a walk and to hang out Sharon (and Sammy the dog!). Not to mention, it was all for a great cause! Lots of people were on my mind today as I did the walk. Seeing all the stickers that said, "In Memory Of" or "For My Mom" got me all choked up. It's just a major wakeup call that this disease is so prevalent and that no one is immune to it. I'm not saying that I've been naive to think that I would never get it or that no one I knew would ever get it, but just seeing the sheer numbers today was a major visual.

We finished in about an hour and a half. I honestly think we could've finished sooner, but when there's a four-legged canine sniffing everything in sight and wanting to stake its territory every so feet, well, it's going to take a while. Sometimes you gotta let the dog do what it's gotta do!

Anyways...here's a couple of pics from today!





Akagi's

After our teacher in-service this past Friday, two of my fellow 3rd grade teachers and I headed out for some Japanese grub. We were originally supposed to go to Crazy Sushi in Noe Valley (which btw, JUST opened a few months ago AND is run by the significant other of one of the teachers at school!), but considering that it was a Friday and that we were carpooling in a minivan, we thought parking would be a problem. I suggested the hole in the wall Japanese joint that hubby and I used to frequent...often. Plus, I haven't gone there in so long, I was feening!

There was a long line, to be expected on a Friday evening, but man, the wait was well worth it. I ordered my usual, chicken teriyaki with tempura, and boy, did it hit the spot or what?

Hanging out with these teachers was very cool. Anytime that we could hang out outside of the school is always different. You only tend to see your coworkers in a certain mode. Teacher-mode, for some, is quite opposite from their non-teacher-mode. This was no different. We had our laughs, we had our jokes, but as much as we tried to avoid it, school always came up! It's inevitable. Aiya.

In any case, Akagi's was yum. We tried to head to the new Tanforan Mall and check out the new Barnes and Nobles...plus, it's Teacher Appreciation Week and we get a 25% discount. Dope. But we got there a little past 9pm and security wasn't letting people in. Suckers. Oh well...it looks nice from the outside for sure! Maybe I'll head over there tomorrow and walk around.

No comments: