Sunday, October 09, 2005

Our First Field Trip

Field trips. As a teacher, you either love 'em or you hate 'em. I definitely love 'em...although that goes without mentioning all the anxiety that comes with it. I love them because getting out of the classroom and school environment really gets the kids' attention and give them the opportunity to experience things on a whole different level. There's only so much you can do in a classroom and there's only so much you can do with a textbook. To actually have that hands-on experience not only makes learning fun, but it definitely makes it worth remembering.

I took my class to the Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate Park. We are currently studying plants in Science, so this was very appropos...oh, and also, I just happen to be the lucky winner of the school lottery in which one class from the school gets to go. In all honesty, I was very hesitant to bring my class on any kind of field trip so early into the school year. With this exceptionally talkative class, I was worried that the excitement of the field trip itself would be enough to make some of these kids lose control. Plus, I was used to traveling with at least another 3rd grade class and this would be my first time going solo. The anxiety of using public transportation is also just another major headache that I'd rather not deal with either...because IF the school had its own bus OR IF the school allowed parents to drive kids to and from field trips, our lives would be so much easier. But that's another story altogether. So put all of that together and if you can imagine, it made for a very nervous me on Friday morning. By the way, my morning prayer sounded a little like this: Dear God, please don't let me lose one of my students today. Amen.

Going there, MUNI was not a problem at all. We were able to get on the first bus that came our way...usually, bus drivers would pass up class field trips simply because they don't want to deal with a whole bunch of kids. The kids were okay. I wasn't 100% happy with how they behaved...we have ONE major rule when travelling on the bus and that is to be absolutely quiet. No talking. None. Not allowed. Some might say that's impossible to enforce and in general, just plain mean. But I tell you, when travelling with 25+ 3rd graders on public transportation, fellow passengers and most importantly, the bus drivers all appreciate quiet and well behaved children. I have never really had a problem with my past classes...they were quiet and with one look, they would think twice about opening their mouth to talk. We even practice the day before...yes, practice! We practice standing and holding onto a moving bus....I walk through their lines complete with bumping into them, pushing them, and being rude...y'know, just like how they might experience a real MUNI bus ride. For some of them, this is their first time on a bus. And the #1 reason for their rule of no talking is that they will not distract the bus driver. In years past, I have had many compliments from bus drivers on how well behaved my kids were. And for 3rd graders, this is definitely a big thing.

But oh, can I just skip right down to our bus ride home? We caught the 44 O'Shaughnessy outside the park and lucky for us, it wasn't even crowded. As instructed, I took my class straight to the back of the bus. From the moment we got on the bus, I swear, we all held on for dear life! For a trip that usually takes about 30 minutes to and from the park, our bus ride took half the time! Maybe this bus driver thought it'd be fun to have kids flying out of their seats...and if we were on a bus with a bomb underneath it that would detonate if it went less than 55mph, then I would've understood, but damn bus driver lady! For those of you who are not familiar with the 44 O'Shaughnessy route, it's a very curvy and twisting road. Now remember when you were little and whenever your dad would make a right or left hand turn, you'd do the whole leaning into the turn and squish anyone who was next to you complete with the Ahhhhhh scream? Well, imagine that on a bus, with 26 lil' 3rd graders, whose tiny hands could NOT get a grip on the handle bars and who were literally, LITERALLY, flying out of their seats! At first, I was busy trying to quiet them down, but after a minute of semi-chaotic-ness, I was just focused on grabbling kids left and right and telling them to hold on! It was mad crazy! It was so bad, I honestly think that I got whiplash! Can I just share how happy I was when our stop finally came?! I had the kids thank the bus driver and crazy lady has the balls to say, "Oh, your class was so quiet I almost forgot you were on the bus!" Kiss my ass, lady! Y'know...there's always a reason to detest taking MUNI..

Anyways, the field trip itself was very interesting. We had to split up into groups and of course, my group consisted of the kids that NEED to have me watching them. The theme of the trip was Plant Travelers...basically, how plants travel, germinate, and grow in different climates and conditions. Our docents were very good with the kids and did a great job at keeping them engaged and focused. One of them was a former teacher and kept telling me how cute my students were...I couldn't help thinking, "Is it because they're lil' Asian kids?" Is it me or do most puti people think Asian kids are adorable? And isn't that why when they choose to adopt, they do to China or Korea? Hmmm...sorry...tangent. Anyways, I didn't realize just how huge the Botanical Gardens was...we didn't even cover half of it! If my kids weren't paying attention in class when we studied seeds, then I hope it stuck in their heads this time around because the docents repeatedly mentioned the terms I covered. It was cool to see some students sharing what they knew and remembered from class..YES, they got it! I was given a folder at the beginning of our tour and the docents cut samples for me to take back to the classroom. Plants and seeds just seem more fascinating after a field trip like this because again, it provides that opportunity to learn on a whole different level. I believe these kids will never look at a leaf the same anymore after Friday.

Ihaw-Ihaw

Since hubby was in town for a few days, we decided to have dinner with the Hustler crew. We haven't seen them for days and thankfully, mostly everyone was available for Friday night dinner. L&B suggested Ihaw-Ihaw in San Bruno. Can I just say YUM?! If ya'll haven't gone, you have to go! Order up some pork adobo, the beef steak, and the sinigang...you will not be disappointed. Anyways, we were excited to see everyone, especially B because, well, she's about to give birth any day now! Plus, she is the first in the group to get pregnant...I remember we even had a pool goin' to see who would be the first to get preggie. I had one vote that it'd be me, but it all pointed to L&B. And whaddaya know! After dinner, we all headed to Starbucks for coffee for a bit before da Lapids dropped us off at the airport. It was so great to see everyone, sans the Leynes, and it made us realize just how much we miss having our group of friends like them close by. When we all met, none of us were married. One by one, we got engaged and tied the knot...one by one, we went from an apartment, to a condo, to a single family home. And now, one of us is going to be parents any day now!

Times like these makes me miss being in CA. It's tough to miss out on the dinners, the birthdays, the movie nights, and the plain just hanging out. Maybe it'd be a different story if hubby and I had a similar group of friends out here in MN. Unfortunately we don't. But then again, it's because we don't that makes the coming home a little bit sweeter.

So to the Hustler crew: the Potencions, Opianas, and da Lapids, thanks for coming out for food and coffee. 'Twas great food, great company, and loads of laughs. Good times ya'll...good times. We miss you guys like crazy and look forward to our next get-together. Much love!

No comments: