Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Where Does The Time Go?

It still trips me out at the period of time between posts. I'm amazed at how people find the time to blog on a daily basis when I'm over here struggling to correct the neverending piles of papers, trying to develop a script for the third grade Christmas program (um, more on that later...), recovering from last week's parent-teacher conferences, trying to squeeze in at least a good 5-6 hours of sleep, AND still be able to enjoy my WB programs. Yes, I MUST have my fill of my shows, or as some would call them, "mindless entertainment," or else I will not be able to function well. As funny as it is, I will drop everything that I have in order to catch the latest of Smallville, Gilmore Girls, and my recent fave, Related.

In any case, here's the rundown of some of the things that I've been up to these past few weeks...

- Parent-Teacher Conferences
As tiring and somewhat nerve-racking as it is to meet with some parents, the experience was not totally dreadful. There was one that really stood out that I wanted to share. When the parent first came, she brought with her a box of pastries from her bakery..for me! How nice is that?! With this conference, I already knew that it would be a good meeting simply because her son is just the sweetest thing on this earth. This particular student is like a teddy bear..not only is he just an overall sweet-natured kid, he's also helpful, kind to others, trustworthy, responsible, and pretty good academically. All this, of course, was conveyed to the mother at which point, she started crying! Good tears, mind you! It caught me off guard because while she was trying to hold back her tears, she was explaining that every year at conference time, the teachers always have such nice things to say about her son and it just touches her heart. I mean, I have heard parents say that yes, of course, they love their kid, but the WAY she said, "Oh, I just love my son so much" got ME teary-eyed! I had nothing but good things to say about him and while she was being so appreciative of me as a teacher, I had to give it right back to her for being such a supportive parent. When she heard that, the tears just came even more! Embarrassed, but still trying to talk, she started joking, "Oh see, now all of these parents are wondering why I'm crying..they must think my kid is really bad!"

Moments like these not only stand out, but really makes an impression on me. It serves as a major reminder of what MY job and responsibilites are as a teacher. Yes, my goal is to make a difference in a child's life, but with all the craziness of what teaching entails, I'll be honest and say that it is easy to forget what I'm really there for. It's easy to get caught up with what needs to get done each day. It's easy to forget that the students entrusted in my care are only 8-year old kids...young...impressionable....eager to learn...eager for guidance....craving for attention...craving for praise...craving for validation. No matter what people say, teaching is difficult. It's not an easy thing. There are days when I literally pray for a good day....please God, grant me the patience that I need to teach these lil' rugrats.... I mean, anyone can just go into a classroom, bust out some facts for the kids to memorize, and call it a day. But what good is that? I don't want to just teach. I don't just want to guide. Ultimately, I want to make a difference and inspire. I think because it has been a while for me being in a classroom, it's taken me some time adjust back. And yes, while it gets crazy and hectic, little moments like the parent-teacher conferences gives me that opportunity to step back and look at teaching in a new perspective or to see my students in a different light..to see the students from their parents' point of view. While I don't even want to go into how some parents believe their chidren are complete and perfect angels (sorry lady!), kids will be kids....it just makes my job easier when the parents and teachers work together. After all, we both want the same thing for the kids.

In any case, I'm glad conference week is over. With all the pleasant meetings I had, I did have my share of conferences that were, well, just there. Some parents do not understand the concept of "Please do not disturb- conferences in session..", but I will let that one go....

-Trek Out to the Double V
A couple of weeks ago, lil' bro Phil and I made the trek to Vacaville for Keyopes' son's birthday party. 'Twas a first time for me to see the new house and of course, what a great excuse for a get-together! It was great to see old friends and can I just say that those inflatable jumpers make for a really good ab and leg workout? All the jumping and all the laughing made my workout for the day complete- lol! 'Tis funny because although I did make a roadtrip from CA to MN, the car ride from da city to Vacaville was just long! Got to visit the outlets afterwards for a bit..didn't buy anything, but cool nonetheless. Belated birthday wishes to lil' Andres!

- Sunday Stroll
Is it possible to be mad and upset at a place? For as long as I can remember, I have been going to Ocean Beach. It's been my refuge of sorts....it may not be the most beautiful beach out there, but when I need to think, clear my head, or just want to be alone, that's where I go. Spending time there, watching and listening the waves crash onto the shore relaxes me, soothes me even. But there was one particular moment when I came to the beach, wanting to get away from pressures of life and whatnot, and surprisingly, I got nothing out of it. I literally left upset, mad at the beach, for not comforting me in the way that I needed. So it's not a major surprise that since I've been here in da Bay, I have not gone out of my way to visit. And I've missed it. Two Sundays ago, I was on my way to church when something inside made me head on to the beach. It just so happened to be one of those rare beautiful warm days in da city and being there did something to me. It didn't lift my spirits completely, but being out there, being warmed by the sun, listening to the waves, hearing the laughter of lil' kids playing, seeing surfers trying to catch that perfect wave did something to me. It's as if whatever it was that I lost was found again. I'm not talking major life altering moment or anything, but whatever it was compelled me to drive out to Fort Funston and take a walk. Take a walk! Me? I don't usually go out for walks...nevermind that I should more often, but yes, that's what I did. Whatever "rift" existed between the beach and myself, if that is at all possible, is gone. And it did my soul some good.

No comments: