Monday, November 21, 2005

Ocean Beach, Grandma, TFC, and really bad Hip Hop

Sunday afternoon proved to be a beautiful day in da city. In fact, da city has been blessed with warm, sunny, simply gorgeous days lately that I'm tempted to call in sick. Where would I go? To the beach, of course! Recently it's been the norm that I spend my Sunday afternoons lounging at the beach and correcting my papers. Yes, correcting papers....the piles and piles that never seem to end. Because I'd rather not deal with papers getting caught in a breeze and awkwardly running after them as I sink deeper into the sand, I do my correcting in my car.

I actually snagged a good spot yesterday...prime location to watch the many surfers riding the waves, people flyin' kites with their kids, and no telephone poles to block my view of the ocean itself. I rolled down my windows, scooted my seat back, and began attacking the pile I brought with me. After about an hour, I could feel the sun beating down on my entire left side of my neck and arms. Too bad I couldn't turn over and work on my right side. That would've looked silly. Usually I would reward myself an actual stroll on the beach after I complete a pile, but since I had so many, I never left my car. Instead, I had to break away and drive out to Baskin Robbins in Westlake for a delish MochaBlast.

'Tis been a while since I've visited my Apu (grandma). Yes, shame on me. Since I won't be around for the Thanksgiving holidays, I decided to pay her a visit. When I got there, she was lying in bed watching tv. Now if you know my Apu, you know that her guilty pleasure is anything and everything on TFC...the Filipino channel. My grandma could name the popular artistas, who's who in whatever drama she's watching, who's dating whom, etc. If I didn't know better, I'd say that my 89 year old grandma is an addict! Lol!

If you've ever watched TFC, you know that there are numerous "variety shows." By variety, I mean, shows with a whole bunch of people dancing and singing...or should I say, TRYING to dance and at best, lip-syncing. For as long as I can remember, I've always been irked at how the artistas really could NOT lip-sync in time with the music. I mean, dude! How hard is it? At least look as if you're really singing! And do yourselves a favor...keep the mic at your mouth!

Anyways... Apu was watching "Fantastic." It was a dance contest among different actors from shows like America's version of Big Brother. A dance contest. Seeing that PI is so hip to get with the western culture, it's no surprise that the young'uns were all hootchified out. But as much as I am proud to say that Pinoys and Pinays got the rhythm thing goin' on, the ones on this variety show SO didn't have it goin' on. Now, I was pretty much entertained for two reasons. One, that I was watching some REALLY BAD HIP HOP on TV...'twas so bad that it was funny. Two, that I was watching some really bad hip hop on tv WITH MY APU! She's chillin' watching this dance contest with music bumpin' from Snoop Dogg ("Drop It Like It's Hot") and Black Eyed Peas ("Bebot")! She's watching these hootchified mamas grindin' and shakin'....and watching the wannabe breakers doin' their thing. And it’s not like she was changing channels, paused, and shook her head at the bumpin’ and grindin’. She was actually watching it! Hilarious! Wow..I totally see my grandma in a whole new light! Lol!

No comments: