Sunday, August 14, 2005

Feeling My Age

Last night I did something that I hadn't done in a majorly long time...I pulled an all-nighter. Because the kids are here from San Diego, we hosted a sleepover with the kids from church so that they could all hang out. Keep in mind that we're all still recovering from our day-to-day activities and so wherever we go and no matter how short or long the drive is, one or all three of the kids end up stealing a nap whenever they could. The sleepover should've started around 7pm-ish, but because of people running on Filipino time, the gang was complete by about 10pm. We just chilled out in the living room before deciding to pop in "Message in a Bottle." Since it was an all-girl thang, some of 'em were in a mood for some mushy-corny story. While some of them could not fully "concentrate" during the movie, the parts where I would usually cry instead turned to jeers and hurled comments toward the TV with, "How corny naman!" or "Can they get any cornier?" or "Oh my goshness!" After that, we put in "Phantom of the Opera," but because it was already getting late, the focus factor was out the door. I know they all thought the singing was cool, but I'm almost positive much of the storyline was jumbled. This being the first sleepover we've had at our house, I just thought it fun to have the kiddies over for a night of laughs and silliness.

I have, however, heard of the extracurricular activies that these kids partake in during other sleepovers. Namely, messing with the unfortunate souls who fall asleep first and in this case, it's usually the same person! To be "safe" from any practical jokes and whatnot, I made a pot of coffee. I have to say...I am no longer the huge coffee drinker that I once was and when I did down my one lil' cup, the caffeine somehow decided to kick in at about 4ish in the morning. Great. Along with two other gals, we basically did not get any sleep at all!

Oh man...did we pay for it at church! Albeit that we were all groggy and totally out of it, it's still embarrassingly funny to see people do the whole head bopping and nodding up and down and all around in the attempts to stay awake. In fact, Soleil caught me falling asleep with my head falling back! If I was shorter I swear I would've hit my head on the pew...looking back, maybe that would've woken me up! That actually woke me up somewhat because my head must've fallen so far back I think I've got whiplash. No joke.

After church, we all came home and we just crashed for a few hours. I don't think I could do that again. I swear, it's times like these when I start to feel my age!

Let's review: sore arms and legs from swimming, sore feet from exploring Mall of America and shopping, sore calves and thighs from jumping in the inflatable thingy, sore back from all of the above, and now, lack of sleep. Plus, I leave for da city tomorrow night and still have last minute packing to do. I am mentally exhausted as well as physically tired. But after arriving to CA tomorrow night, it's back to work on Tuesday. Man oh man...it's going to be a long night tonight and tomorrow.

No comments: