Friday, March 18, 2005

Snowdrifts and Cabin Fever


The last major snowstorm of the winter has hit Minnesota...with a vengeance. We've been anticipating it for a few days now- "crippling snowstorm to hit the southern parts of Minnesota with accumulations of 10-13 inches of snow." For as long as this damned winter has been going on, I'll all for having a last storm of the season if it means that spring will quickly follow.


They weren't kidding about the accumulation. The snow has been relentless since the early morning hours and hasn't stopped since. In fact, there were moments that it was just getting fiercer and fiercer by the hour. Ya'll know what snowdrifts are? Snowdrifts can be huge accumulations of snow that build and build so quickly that it could literally act as a barrier. With the snow coming in sideways, our driveway is the prime spot for them. Snowdrifts are not cool.


For the entire week, I've been stuck in front of this laptop furiously trying to finish a project that was due two days ago. Yes, two days ago. I've got my excuse all lined up and ready to go, but I won't divulge and jinx myself. In any case, I've become accustomed to staying indoors for long periods of time. If I don't have work to do, there's always a good book to curl up with, a whole lot of DVDs that I could pop in, or the neverending load of laundry that needs washing. In essence, I've always got something to do here at home. Hubby, on the other hand, cannot be stuck indoors for too long until cabin fever hits.


It's always made me wonder why hubby's dose of cabin fever hit whenever we were having the worst weather. Take today for example. Nevermind that we're having a major snowstorm out. Nevermind that the snowplows haven't hit our neck of the woods yet...damn the townhome association! Nevermind that when the garage door went up that we were faced with a snowdrift that went higher than my waist! Hubby was determined. In order for him to get out, he had to shovel a path for the car. Poor hubby. I watched him from the upstairs window as he shoveled. As he would dump his shovel to the side, the wind would pick up and the snow would just fly in all directions. He even gave up at one time, mumbling that he wasn't going anywhere. It was just too much work. Thirty minutes later, hubby announces, "Screw it! I'm going to bust through that MF!" And so he did....all in the name of going to Best Buy. LOL!

No comments: