Sunday, April 13, 2008

INSPI(RED)

Last July was a major breakthru for me...something inside of me just SPARKED. This spark, along with some whisperings from God, has led me to embark on these ventures that I would never have thought possible before. I will have to say that it started off with an invitation to go hiking. Never having gone before, I was nervous and worried, but after "surviving" the few hours trekking over narrow and uneven terrain, I marveled at the sense of pride that I had for myself because being the city girl that I am, I stepped outside the boundaries of my element to do something different. Using the fear of creepy crawlies and such as my excuse, I've never really been the outdoorsy type. Just ask anyone...is MnM a hiker? Ha! Yah right! Well, after that initial hike, there was just something about the simple (and not-so-simple) act of walking about God's creation. I remember there was this one point in my hike that overlooked the coast and as I scanned the hillsides and the water before me, I was overcome by God's greatness to provide such beauty. For me, when I see something so amazingly breathtaking, I always wonder, "How is it that people CANNOT see or believe in the God who made all of this?"

A few days after that hike was when I decided to train for the NIKE half marathon. A marathon? Lordy...a marathon has never been in my sights before, but again, I felt inspired. I felt compelled to do something different, do something I've never done before, and do it for myself.

After much contemplation, I realized that the reason why I felt so driven to "just do it" was because I was now on my own. Once upon a time when I was married, I depended so much on the hubby...from computer tech stuff to driving places. But since that chapter closed, I knew that I had to step it up and learn how to do things on my own. It's definitely been a learning experience...it's definitely upped my confidence and it's definitely helped me to grow in many areas and be a stronger woman because of it.

As the story goes, I did the marathon, the big D was finalized, and I moved out...all within a year's timeframe! Wowzers!

Now that I've checked those off my list, there is yet another biggie that's been hanging in the wings. It's been calling to me for some time now and to be quite honest, it's the scariest of all. I really want to give of myself and serve on a mission trip.

Last Wednesday was AMERICAN IDOL GIVES BACK night. If you were among the millions who watched, I know that you couldn't help but be touched. I'll tell you, I was in tears for most of the show! Even though I'm so far from being a celebrity, I would so love to do what they do. I want to go to Africa!

Here are a couple of video performances from the evening that stood out for me. I'm not quite sure how I'll get there (meaning to Africa or to a mission trip), but I'm sure God will speak and show me the way in His time...

Daughtry (being introduced by the ever so fine Brad Pitt)


Carrie Underwood


Shout To the Lord
Just for the record, in case you didn't know the lyrics, the song is SUPPOSED to start with, "My Jesus, My Savior..." The idols said "shepherd" instead of "Jesus," but in lots of ways, I can't complain. When I heard that they would sing this song, the first thing that popped in my head was, "Wow! A Christian song is being heard by millions of people tonight!" Much props to American Idol for that...

No comments: