Saturday, February 03, 2007

Weekend Endeavor

One of the goals that I've had for myself is to learn how to play a new instrument. My current love is for the violin. I've been so tempted to go to a music store and buy one...I think one can buy a decent one for about $100. I told myself that I would take lessons, but when I browsed Craigslist, there weren't many listings for violin lessons. It really makes me wish that my elementary school had a music program where all students HAD to play something. I swear, I never really heard of the various musical instruments until later on in life. My niece's piano teacher also happens to be a violin teacher...a viable option. I was able to attend a recital held in her teacher's living room and it was cute. There were a few tiny rugrats who were total beginning level violin players and it was neat that the parents decided to learn along, too. As cute as it was for both parent and child to be playing "Twinkle, twinkle little star," I seriously don't see myself starting there. Yes, yes, we all have to begin somewhere, but I've been told that if you already have some kind of musical background, learning won't be so difficult. Not to say that I could just surpass the basics because I took piano for a couple of years, but I'd like to think that I fall into that category.

Well, as cool as it would be for me to say that I've taken up the violin, I haven't. Why all the talk about it? Well, it's still a goal of mine. It would be a major accomplishment for me personally if I did learn it...one day. BUT, back in '99, I bought myself an acoustic guitar. I've tinkered with it here and there through the years...it did collect dust for a bit while I was in Minnesota and I even agreed to let lil' cousin D borrow it. But it's back in my possession and as nice as it looks in my sister's living room, I decided that it's time to put it to good use.

Just for the record, I've had no lessons. I have learned three basic chords prior: D, A, G. Today, I have been subjecting myself to pain to my fingertips and attemptingto play a song. See? No patience to learn the basics...just straight to a song. I bought a music book at the Chris Tomlin concert and as uplifted as I was, I became even more inspired to learn how to play. I thought, wouldn't I be cool teacher if I could bust out my guitar for the kiddies and have my own lil' praise and worship thang goin'?

Anytime I'm at my sister's house, there's a certain comfort there. Besides the obvious of being in the company of fellow goofy, fun-loving, totally cool, inspiring, comforting peoples (and yes, the good food, too!), I love the fact that it's a house always filled with music.

My fingertips are not as calloused yet; rather, they are painful and sensitive to the touch. Seeing that today was the first time I spent a couple of hours playing the same song over and over (yes, a couple of hours!), I could honestly say that I could play Chris Tomlin's "Your Grace Is Enough" somewhat decently...slow, but decent.


Your Grace Is Enough
by Chris Tomlin


Great is your faithfulness, Oh God
You wrestle with the sinner's heart
You lead us by still waters into mercy
And nothing could keep us apart

So remember your people, remember your children
Remember your promise, Oh God

*Your grace is enough, your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me

Great is your love and justice, God
You use the weak to lead the strong
You lead us in the song of your salvation
And all your people sing along

Your grace is enough, heaven reaching down to us
Your grace is enough for me
God I see your grace is enough
I'm covered in your love
Your grace is enough, is enough for me.

No comments: