Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Taste of Motherhood

I know quite a few people who are wondering what it would be like to have a child and are possibly even waiting to have a child of their own.

Not me.

Not that I don't want a child...on the contrary! I'm just saying that ever since my older sister had kids and ever since I started teaching, I never had to wonder what it would be like to have some of my own. From 8am-3pm, I have 28 children in my care on a daily basis for nine months. As much as I love each and every one, I am always glad to "return" them to their rightful owners at the end of the day.

The same goes for my niece and nephew. I love them to death, don't get me wrong! But after having to watch them for a few, I get a realistic taste of what being a mom is like...thankfully without having to experience the labor pains! (do sympathy pains count?)

I've been watching my sister's kids since they were born. It's no big deal. When they were younger, it was easy. Feed them. Burp them. Change their diaper. Clean them. Play with them. Put them to sleep. But now that they're older, it's different.

They're much more demanding and require a lot of attention! (not that I give in to these lil' rugrats...when Ninang says no, she means it! lol!)

Today alone, I had the little man all to myself today. My sister's youngest can be quite a handful...which is why I was secretly glad when this five-year old stayed up late with me last night to watch "Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." He woke up about 10:30am and from there, it has been nonstop hyperness- where do these kids store up their energy? I honestly don't mind babysitting because it's my chance to spend time and bond with the kids, but man oh man, it sure is tiring! Getting him to eat, clean up, toothbrush, and wash his face are chores unto itself! What could have easily been done in five minutes turned out to be a twenty minute detour.

Not that I'm complaining.

To top it all off, we had to go pick up his Ate from school...in the mini-van! I was a tad nervous about driving the mini-van because I'm just not used to driving anything so long, but I survived. Lol! I have to say that the mini-van is a nice ride! I wouldn't mind getting one in the future!

I'm hoping that I will blessed with the motherhood thang someday. I can talk all this noise about having a taste of motherhood from watching the kiddies or maintaining a classroom full of rugrats, but of course it ain't the same until I have my own.

All I know is that while I have held mothers in high regard before, I've got mad respect for them moreso.

No comments: