Sunday, January 06, 2008

Ho-Hum Weekend

I hope ya'll are keeping dry, safe, and warm during these stormy days. Da Bay has been hit with monster rains and intense winds powerful enough to split and uproot trees. The damage of the aftermath near my neck of the woods is eerie- branches scattered everywhere, gigantic trees split down the center, and leaves covering the roads like freshly fallen snow.

Friday morning's drive to work practically gave me a stomach ache. It reminded me of the Minnesota winters and traveling in the snow. Not only was I decked out for the weather (heavy jacket, boots, gloves, scarf, and hat), but driving in the torrential rain gave me the same exact feeling as we'd travel down those slick snow-covered roads in Woodbury, MN. Being surrounded by frozen lakes on either side of the road, my stomach churned with anxiety and with fervent prayers that we would make it safely to our destination. All it would take was one slip that could send our car sliding out of control off the road and into the lake. Of course, if the lake wasn't completely frozen over, then into the bone-chilling water we would go! This worrisome feeling, this panic-stricken paranoia, this fear of a tragic slow death by drowning consumed me to the point where I would feel sick to my tummy. It never failed each time we ventured out...and this is how I felt last Friday on my way to work. Okay, so I'm not surrounded by frozen lakes, but the trees that line the sides of the roads hovered ominously. Their branches were swaying so violently that I was half-expecting all of them to crash down...which some of them did! My prayers during my lil' commute was this: "Please God, let me get to work safely...don't let any trees crash down on my car...please let the tread of my tires be okay so that I don't spin out of control...and please get that ass in back of me to stop tailing me!" Thankfully, I did get to work safely and on time.

The storm didn't let up for the entire day and for many parts of the Bay, that meant no electricity. Fortunately, loss of power didn't affect my fam or me, but we were prepared. Despite the rain, I went to Target after school. As I was browsing, I happened to pass by the flashlight section and it was completely wiped out! Empty!

Saturday's storm was horrid, but in the afternoon, we were treated to a short reprieve. Although the temps were still ass-biting cold (lol...Sis, you like that? Thank Jane for me for that one!), I headed to the beach to check out the waves. My weatherbug was been blinking every so often since yesterday and it warned of high surf and possible flooding. The Great Highway was closed and it was neat to see runners and bikers alike taking advantage of all the free space. (Oh, and just a sidenote: I am not a hardcore runner, nor do I desire to ever be. In fact, I am trying to get out of that mode where the cold weather deters me from walking at all. It's painful at first...having that cold wind in your face and having it cut through your body, but once you get warmed up, the pain slowly dissipates. I often get that guilty feeling when I've decided NOT to go and then I see all these people running their hearts out. But did I feel that guilt seeing hardcore runners out in the storm? Running in that pouring rain...it's maddening, really! It's freaking H-A-R-D-C-O-R-E, that's what it is! But as much as I'd like to continue getting in shape, running in a storm and risking pneumonia is not a priority...) I'll tell you, I love living so close to the beach and hearing the waves is just so calming...BUT, when they say monster waves, they aren't kidding! It's pretty scary....AWESOMELY so. But as I marveled at the sun breaking through the clouds (and after taking a few pics!), I thought about the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow" and how we were in the eye of the storm. With global warming and its adverse effects, the reality of that movie is, in my opinion, a huge possibility. I could go on about that, but I'll save that for another post...

When it's cold and dreary out, all you want to do is stay in bed and cuddle underneath the covers, right? After some hours of putting together a microwave cart and rearranging my kitchen (I don't want to get into that right now...lol), I threw in "Bend It Like Beckham." I've never seen this before, although I've wanted to buy it for sometime. All I knew was that it was a movie about soccer (football!) and how an Indian girl defies her family for her love of the game.

I LOVE this movie! Not only is it a girl empowerment movie, but for many other reasons, too: 1) it has Keira Knightly...I dig her!, 2) the producer is the same one who did "Bride and Prejudice"...there's even a Bollywood scene, too!, 3) they show parts of England and Germany...Europe, a future destination for me, 4) all the soccer/futbol scenes is inspiring...makes me want to run laps (NOT in a storm...) and do situps! and lastly, 5) Jonathan Rhys Meyers...hubba, hubba...the coach from Ireland (helloooo!!!)with the s-e-x-y accent...need I say more?

(I mean...I COULD, but I won't...). LOL...yah, it's official...I'm crazy!

No comments: